Sandra in 2006
|Birth name||Dewi Sandra Killick|
3 April 1980 |
|Genres||Pop, R&B, jazz, dance-pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, dancer, actress, model|
|Years active||1996 – present|
Dewi Sandra Killick, (born 3 April 1980) better known as Dewi Sandra, is an Indonesian singer, dancer, actress, model.
Sandra was born in Brazil on 3 April 1980. She is of mixed heritage; her father, John George Killick, was a British national and her mother, Prihartini, was Betawi. As a child, she was overweight; this led her to receive the nickname "Miss Piggy". However, she lost weight and began modeling in her teens, later recording the compilation album Menari-Nari (Dance) with her fellow models.
She released her first solo album, Kurasakan (I Feel), in 1998 to lukewarm reception. Critics objected that she was only "selling a pretty face". She then received further vocal training, after which she released Tak Ingin Lagi (Don't Want It Anymore), which was received better.
Her next album, Kuakui (I Admit), was released in 2004 after three years production. The following album, 2007's Star, was more experimental. It mixed uptempo beats on some tracks with slow ballads.
Sandra released her fifth album, Wanita (Woman), not long after her divorce in 2009. A single from the album, "Kapan Lagi Bilang I Love You" ("When Will You Say I Love You Again"), was released in April, with the album following in October. One of the songs, "Satu Untuk Selamanya", discussed how happy she had been with Glenn Fredly at the beginning of their relationship.
In 2011 she was cast in her first sinetron (Indonesian soap opera), Nada Cinta (Tones of Love), as a singing teacher. She expressed surprise at the rushed nature of the filming.
Her first four albums were categorized with "bouncy R&B songs infused with a joyful mood". However, her fifth album, Wanita, featured more melancholic melodies.
She married actor Surya Seputra in the early 2000s; they divorced in 2005. She then married singer Glenn Fredly. He proposed to her at the National Monument and they were married in Bali on her 26th birthday. Fredly initiated divorce proceedings in April 2009. On 11 December 2011 Dewi Sandra married for third time, to Agus Rahman.
Awards and accolades
From 1999 to 2004, Sandra won the Panasonic Award for Best Female Presenter. In 2001, she received the Indonesian Music Award for Best R&B Album. For Him Magazine Indonesia selected Sandra as the Sexiest Female Indonesian Artist and listed her seventh on their list of the sexiest women in the world in 2004.
- Kurasakan (I Feel; 1998)
- Tak Ingin Lagi (Don't Want It Anymore; 2000)
- Kuakui (I Admit; 2004)
- Star (2007)
- Wanita (Woman; 2009)
- "Dewi Sandra". KapanLagi.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Dewi Sandra astounded by crazy working hours". The Jakarta Post. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Emond, Bruce (28 March 2008). "Dewi Sandra". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Emond, Bruce (31 August 2010). "‘I never say never, because I end up doing it anyway’". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Kuswandini, Dian (13 May 2009). "Dewi Sandra: Standing on solid ground". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Penghibur yang Nyaris Sempurna" [The Nearly Perfect Entertainer]. TokohIndonesia.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Singer Dewi Sandra marries for third time". The Jakarta Post. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 11 December 2011.