Dhaka Metropolitan Police
|Dhaka Metropolitan Police
ঢাকা মেট্রোপলিটন পুলিশ
|Logo of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police.|
|Formed||February 1, 1976|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Constituting instrument||The Dhaka Metropolitan Police Ordinance, 1976|
|Headquarters||36, Shaheed Captain Mansur Ali Swarony, Ramna, Dhaka 1000|
|Agency executive||Benazir Ahmed, Police commissioner|
|Parent agency||Bangladesh Police|
The Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) is the division of Bangladesh Police responsible for law enforcement in the metropolis of Dhaka, the national capital and most populous city in Bangladesh. The DMP is the largest police force in Bangladesh. The emergency hotline for the DMP is 9-9-9.
During a major reorganisation and expansion of Bangladesh's national police forces, the Dhaka Metropolitan Polices (DMP) was established on February 1, 1976 to maintain law and order in the country's capital and largest city. It initially had 6,000 personnel in 12 police stations. With the rapid population growth of the city, the need of an expanded and better equipped police increased. The government planned a major expansion of police. Consequently, the establishment of 49 police stations has been completed. The number of personnel has been expanded, with newer ranks and officer corps.
The current total strength of stands at around more than 26,661( including ministerial staff ) personnel and 49 police stations. The DMP organisation is divided into 5 operational divisions headed by a joint commissioner aided by deputy commissioners, additional deputy commissioners and assistant commissioners. The 5 divisions are:
- Detective and Criminal Intelligence Division: the detective and criminal investigation arm of the police, it is responsible for fighting organised crime, homicide, theft, drug trafficking, crimes against women and human trafficking.
- Crime and Operations Division: administers and oversees the functions of all the city police stations.
- Traffic Division: serves as the traffic police of the city, regulating vehicular traffic, speed and parking laws, pedestrian and road security.
- Protection and Protocol Division: the division is responsible for providing security to VIPs, members of parliament, government officials, foreign dignitaries and others.
- Public Order Management and Head Quarters Division: comprising 10,500 officers, the division forms the governing arm of the police, handling appointments, training, logistics, supplies and other administrative functions.
The DMP also collaborates and maintains organizational links with the Bangladesh Ansar, Border Guard Bangladesh, Special Branch, Bangladeshi intelligence community, Rapid Action Battalion and other national security agencies.
Female officers were first inducted into the DMP in 1978. The DMP also raised a Special Women Police Contingent in 2008 with the intention of developing a special unit consisting only of women that would investigate crimes involving female criminals. An assistant commissioner heads the SWPC force of 24 women officers.
The SWAT (Special Weapons And Tactics) is another elite tactical unit of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police which was established on February 28, 2009. SWAT (Bangladesh) operate under the Detective Branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police.
- "History of the DMP". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "DMP — New Initiatives". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "DMP — Detective Division". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "DMP — Crime Division". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "DMP — Protection Division". Dhaka Metropolitan Police. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "History of the Bangladesh Police". Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "Women in the Police". The New Nation. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "Bangladesh raises new unit of women police". Zee News. 2008-08-30. Retrieved 2008-09-30.