Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology, Gazipur
|Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology|
|ঢাকা প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||1980: College of Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Dhaka
Dhaka Engineering college(ঢাকা ইঞ্জিনিয়ারিং কলেজ)
1986: Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BITD), Dhaka
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr Md Alauddin|
20.29 acres (8.21 ha) (Main campus)
4 acres (1.6 ha) (Affiliated campus)
Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology (DUET), Gazipur (Bengali: ঢাকা প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Ḍhākā Prokoushol Ō Prayukti Bishshobiddalôe) or DUET is one of the reputed public university for the study of engineering in Bangladesh. The university offer four-year Bachelor degrees in Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Industrial and Production Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Textile Engineering and Five-years Bachelor of Architecture. Only the Diploma in Engineering holders can avail themselves of enrolling here for Bachelor Degree in different branches of Engineering and Architecture. It is also one of the nine PhD granting research universities of Bangladesh.
Every year, around 540 students get enrolled in undergraduate programs to study engineering and architecture in this institution. In undergraduate admission test, only about top 10% students can get admitted among 5,000 selected candidates. The total number of teachers is about 300. The University has continued to expand over the last three decades. This includes the construction of new academic buildings, halls of residence.
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Transport
- 4 Academic programs
- 5 Halls of residence
- 6 Student organizations
- 7 Regional organizations
- 8 Central Students' Union, DUET
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The University originated in 1980 as College of Engineering at its temporary campus at Tejgaon, Dhaka under the University of Dhaka offering four years ' Bachelor degree in Civil, Electrical and Electronic, Mechanical Engineering 'to help meet the growing need for advanced engineering education in Bangladesh. After a short span of time, College of Engineering is renamed as Dhaka Engineering College (DEC). Then the DEC shifted to its present permanent campus Gazipur City in 1983. DEC was converted to Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT), Dhaka as a degree awarding Institute by the government ordinance in 1986 to find solutions to various problems it had been facing since its inception. The journey of BIT, Dhaka was not also so smooth. It faced many problems and could overcame some of the problems faced by DEC. To alleviate this situation, from September 2003, Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology (DUET), Gazipur was created out of BIT, Dhaka. DUET has ultimately turned into an Institution, which can now boost its commitment to quality engineering education and has established a good reputation all over the world for the quality of its graduate.
The University is located at Gazipur District, 40 km north of Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh (about 20 km from Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka). This district town Gazipur is well connected by roads and railway with Dhaka and other cities of Bangladesh.
For the convenience of the students, faculties, officers and staffs DUET, Gazipur operates its own shuttle Bus Service between Dhaka city and the campus. In weekends special service are provided for meeting the weekend recreational and other needs.
The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate degrees in these faculties:
Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Department of Industrial and Production Engineering (IPE)
- Department of Textile Engineering (TE)
- Department of Humanities
Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology is the only one university of Bangladesh where student's can complete an Undergraduate course (B.sc Engg./B. Arch.) if he or she is a diploma holder. A student can submit her or his application for undergraduate admission after completion of Diploma in Engineering level education under the Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB) with fulfills the minimum requirements. After the admission test, only about 560 students get admitted.
The total number of seats for foreign students in undergraduate level in a single academic session is 16 (Sixteen). However, a maximum of 05 (five) students from a single country and a maximum of 04 (Four) students in a single department shall be allowed.
Undergraduate Courses are offered in-
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Dept. of Civil Engineering
- Dept. of Architecture
- Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
- Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
- Dept. of Industrial and Production Engineering
- Dept. of Textile Engineering
Halls of residence
There are six male and two female dormitories, named:
- FR Khan Hall
- QK Hall
- SM Hall
- KNI Hall
- KNI Extension Hall
- M.C Hall
- M.C Extension Hall (under construction)
- Shaheed Tajuddin Hall(under construction)
Students at DUET are involved in extracurricular activities. The student organizations at DUET are:
- Bangladesh Student League, DUET - the branch organization of the largest and oldest student political organization, called the Bangladesh Student League
- Bangladesh Islami Chatra SHIBIR (BICS), DUET Branch.
- Jatiyotabadi Chattra Dhol(JCD),DUET
- DUETCS - Computer Society)
- Srijony - The cultural organisation consist of free and cultural minded students.
- Central Student Union.
- Association for Information and Communication Technology (AICT)
- Computer Club
- Duet Debating Society (DDS)
- DUET Green Practice Society(DGPS)
- Photography & Art Culture Association
- Andromeda Space and Robotics Research Organisation (ASRRO - DUET branch)
- DUET explorer club
- Robo Mechatronics club (RMC-DUET branch)
- DUET Robotics Club
- BORNALI - Former Dhaka Polytechnic Ins. Students' Welfare Association.
- GUNGCHILL - Students organization from the Chittagong Division.
- MATAMUHURY-student welfare association of Feni.
- MOYNAMOTI- Former Comilla Polytechnic Institute and Greater Comilla Students' Welfare Association.
- KARATOA - Former Bogra Polytechnic Institute Students' Welfare Association.
- KAPATAKKHA- jessore.
- Jalalabad Association - Sylhet divisional student association.
- LOHALIA - Bauphal thana Students organization.
- ARSHIANAGAR-Greater Kushtia and Kushtia Polytechnic Students' Welfare Association.
- Chandradip -Barisal divisional student organisation.
- Karnofully -Cittagong divisional polytechnics student organisation.
- SUNDARBAN - Khulna divisional student organisation.
- JAMUNA - Sirajganj district student organisation.
- PADMA - Rajshahi Division student organisation.
- Bhasani Setu-bandhan - student welfare association of TANGAIL.
- Sopno Sagar-student welfare association of dinajpur.
- Vawall - student welfare association of Gazipur.
- Kashbon - student welfare association of Greater Mymensingh.
- RANGDHANU_STUDENT WELFARE ASSOCIATION OF RANGPUR
Central Students' Union, DUET
Central Students' Union, DUET is an organization representing students, all students at the institute are members. Most of the office bearers are students of the university and are directly elected by the students for a one-year term. Teacher office bearers are nominated by the VC of the university.
- Islamic University of Technology (IUT)
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET)
- Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET)
- Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET)
- Official DUET website
- Admission information
- Yellow Page
- http://www.exduetstudents.com unofficial DUET ex-students website
- http://www.decbd.info unofficial DUET Engineers Club website
- http://lib.duet.ac.bd DUET central library
- http://www.programmingsoln.blogspot.com [ACM Program Solution Blog]