|Date opened||23 June 1974|
|Location||Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Land area||186 acres (75 ha)|
|Number of animals||2150|
|Number of species||191|
|Major exhibits||Royal Bengal Tiger, Estuarine Crocodile, impala, emu, tapir, black bear|
Dhaka Zoo, (Bengali: ঢাকা চিড়িয়াখানা) is a Zoo located in the Mirpur section of Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. The Zoo contains many native and non-native animals and wild life, and hosts about three million visitors each year.
Established in 1974, the 186-acre (75 ha) Dhaka Zoo is the largest zoo in Bangladesh, and is operated by the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock. The zoo attracts around 10,000 visitors every day with the number increasing during the weekends.
The yearly budget of Dhaka Zoo is Tk 37.5 million, out of which Tk 25 million is spent on feeding the animals.
The zoo is currently home to 2,150 animals from 134 species.
The zoo exhibits 58 species are mammals, including elephants, cheetahs, rhinos, zebras, waterbucks, otters, hyenas, deer, giraffes, impala, black bears, tapirs, hippos, lions, many species of monkeys, chimpanzees, baboons, and Bengal tigers.
The aviaries at the zoo house more than 1500 birds representing 91 species, including peacocks, rhea, African gray parrots, cassowary, owls, ostrich, emus, teals, finches, babblers, owls, vultures, and eagles. The two lakes at the zoo also host migratory water birds each winter.
Visitors can also see 13 species of reptiles including snakes and crocodiles, and 28 species of fish.
Elephant-back and Horse-back rides are available at the zoo.
After a number of animal deaths in 2009, the zoo curator and deputy curator were temporarily suspended and a committee was formed to investigate the deaths. Zoo administration claimed that its main problem was the lack of veterinary doctors (it had only one doctor), and that it had already requested additional veterinary staff.
- "Historical Places: Dhaka Zoo". dhakacity.org. Dhaka City Corporation. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Dhaka Zoo". world66.com. World66: The Travel Guide You write. 2 April 2007. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Dhaka Zoo prepares to welcome holiday visitors". bdnews24.com. bdnews24.com. 20 September 2009. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Dhaka Zoo - View Diverse Wildlife in a Natural Environment". bangladesh.com. Bangladesh.Com. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- Media related to Dhaka Zoo at Wikimedia Commons