Dharamsinh Desai University
|Dharmsinh Desai University|
|Chancellor||N. D. Desai|
|Vice-Chancellor||H. M. Desai|
|Undergraduates||600 every year|
|Postgraduates||100 every year|
|Location||Nadiad, Gujarat, India|
|Website||Dharmsinh Desai University|
Dharmsinh Desai Institute of Technology was founded in 1968 by Dharmsinh Dadubhai Desai, who then was a member of Parliament, as an institution of higher learning in the field of Engineering and Technology. It achieved autonomous status under Gujarat University in 1991, and Deemed University status in June 2000.
In 2005 the institute achieved full university status and was renamed as Dharmsinh Desai University (DDU). The university started a bachelor's course in Dental Surgery from 2005. It is the first university of Gujarat to get permission of start a Nanotechnology course from 2012. In November 2013, The organization in UK, the 'Oxford Summit of Leaders', chose Dharmsinh Desai University as the best regional university. This is the first time the Oxford group has given this award to a university outside Europe.
DDU achieved autonomous university status in 1991 which meant it could conduct exams and not follow the parent university, Gujarat University, examination schedule (though the degree certificate awarded still retained the name of Gujarat University). It achieved a Deemed University status in June 2000, which meant that the degree certificates show that they are awarded from DDIT. In April 2005, DDIT achieved full university status and was renamed DDU, an abbreviation for Dharmsinh Desai University.
The faculty has links with industries such as Reliance Industries for R & D, KHS Germany for training students abroad, and Infosys for students training under the campus network. It has a Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Iowa, USA, for the BE+MS five-year integrated program.
The University further signed a MoU with Bosch-Rexroth in 2013, under which special labs and training opportunities will be made available for students studying in Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering and Instrumentation and Control Engineering.
|Engineering – India|
|* Limited participation|
Faculty of Technology
The Faculty of Technology of DDU is headed by Dean D. G. Panchal. The Faculty of Technology has been recognised as Anchor Institute for the Chemical and Petrochemical Sector by Industries Commission of Gujarat State. It established the Shah-Schulman Centre for Surface Science and Nanotechnology with Prof. D O Shah as its founding director. The centre has been sanctioned by the Department of Industries and Mines, Government of Gujarat and has industries like Asian Paints Ltd. and Sun Pharmaceuticals Ltd. as its industrial founding members. H. B. Dave was the first head of the Computer Science department.
There are different departments in faculty of technology listed below.
- Chemical engineering department
- Civil engineering department
- Computer engineering department
- Electronics and communication engineering department
- Information and technology engineering department
- Instrumentation and control engineering department
- Mechanical engineering department
Also Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science & Nanotechnology is there in DDU. This is very well reputed university in India. Research and development center for student is also there.
The R & D Center of university undertakes real life IT based projects from Industry and Research organizations including Government and provides technical solutions to their problems. The R & D facility is also extended to final year students of our institute for their final year project work.
The following are some of the projects completed by the center:
Human Face Identification System: This system was developed by R & D center and was utilized by the NCRB to detect the culprits in Rajiv Gandhi Assassination case. Now the final version of the system is going to be released soon.
Opinion Poll System: The Opinion Poll System for voting in conferences and meetings was developed for the Muljibhai Patel Kidney Hospital, Nadiad.
Other systems, which are being developed, are Examination Information System through Telephone Line, Scull Face Superimposition Project, Web Based Person Identification System Using Multiple Features Including Finger Prints.
In its continued endeavour to reach out to the professionals, the center holds regular workshops on micro controller based system design, digital signal processing and courses on C/C++ programming.
The head of the department of R&D Centre is Prof. H.S. Mazumdar.
Environmental Audit & Consultancy Service Cell
The University has a well-equipped Environmental Audit and Consultancy Service Cell with state-of-the-art technical know-how and equipment. The scope of environmental audit covers i) industrial data collection related to raw material, process, product, by-product and other inputs like water and power, ii) monitoring of environmental management system (air, water and waste water, noise, solid waste and bioassay test) and iii) preparation of audit report as per Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) format.
The additional services extended by the Cell include Environmental Impact Assessment, Total Pollution Load Assessment, Designing and Monitoring of Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP), Evaluation of Environmental Management System etc.
Dr. M. A. Patel of Civil Engineering Department is the Co-Coordinator of Environmental Consultancy and Environmental Audit Cell.
Some of the major clients are RELIANCE, IPCL, GNFC, GEB, L&T, Narmada Cement, NCPL, BASF, Bayer, Rallis India Ltd, Sun Pharma, Zydus, Cadila, Birla, Cellulosic, Cadila Pharma, GAIL India Ltd. Kanoria chemicals Wockhardt, Tata Chemicals etc.
Structural Design Center
Established in 2000, Structural Design Center at university caters to the structural analysis and design needs of the industry, government and non-governmental organizations.
The center provides consultancy works related to static and dynamic analysis, structural design and failure analysis of various Civil and Industrial/Infrastructure structures.
The facilities available at the center include STAAD III-Ver 18 on LAN, STADD Pro, Auto- CIVIL, NISA, Auto CAD, and in house programs developed by faculty. The center is also supported with adequate material testing facilities of the Department of Civil Engineering. Prof. D. G. Panchal and Prof. K. N. Sheth of Civil Engg. Department are the Coordinator and the Principal Engineer in the center.
The university offers a doctoral programme in Engineering/Technology, Management and Applied Sciences.
- Mrs Sarika Nayak, Director - Marketing, Dell
- Shital Mehta, Chief Executive Officer, Pantaloons Fashion & Retail Ltd (part of Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd.)
- Shakeel Kadri, Head of US Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers(AIChE) 
- Manish Mathuria, co-founder and CTO of InfoStretch
- Manish Sheladia, co-founder of CIGNEX Technologies (Acquired by Datamatics Global Services)
- Dr. Dinesh O. Shah, Founding Director Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science and Nanotechnology, Dharmsinh Desai University, College Road, Nadiad-387001, Gujarat, India And Center for Surface Science and Engineering and Professor Emeritus Department of Chemical Engineering and Department of Anesthesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 32611, USA.
- Prof. H.S. Mazumdar, Head of R&D centre.
- "List of Universities in Gujarat". University Grants Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- DDU University profile
- Nadiad university honoured by British group
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "GHRDC-CSR Engineering Colleges Survey 2013" (PDF). Competition Success Review (Competition Success Review and the Global Human Resources Development Centre): 1–6. July 2013.
- "Sarika Naik Profile". Retrieved 18 Feb 2015.
- "Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd. Board & management team". Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Shital Mehta of MF&L appointed as CEO, Pantaloon Fashion Retail Limited". Retrieved 23 Jan 2013.
- "Indian-American to head US Center for Chemical Process".
- "InfoStretch Leadership". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Manish Mathuria Profile". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "CIGNEX Leadership". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "DDU Alumni Awards for 2010–11". Retrieved 5 May 2013.