Movie poster for Dharm
|Directed by||Bhavna Talwar|
|Written by||Varun Gautam
|Edited by||Steven Bernard|
Dharm (English: Religion) is a 2007 Hindi film directed by Bhavna Talwar and starring Pankaj Kapoor and Supriya Pathak in lead roles. This debut film of the director addresses the theme of communal harmony. Most of it is shot in Varanasi.
At the 2007 National Film Award, it won the Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration. The film was premiered in the Tous Les Cinemas du Monde (World Cinema) section of 2007 Cannes Film Festival.
The story is based in Benares and is about Pandit Chaturvedi (Pankaj Kapoor), a highly revered and learned Brahmin priest. A baby is abandoned by a woman and brought to his house by his daughter. He agrees to adopt the child due to requests from his wife (Supriya Pathak). Life takes a turn when the boy's mother returns: The family finds out that the boy is Muslim after they have become attached to him. The family gives back the boy to his mother. Chaturvedi engulfs himself in purification processes to cleanse his body, mind, and soul due to contact with a Muslim soul. By the time Chaturvedi thinks he is fully purified, the child reappears — seeking refuge, due to Hindu-Muslim riots. This is when Chaturvedi realizes that the true religion is humanity.
Dharma was premiered at the 60th Cannes Film Festival and became the closing film of the World Cinema Section at the festival; it was also the official Indian entry to the Festival. It was screened at 38th International Film Festival of India (2007), in Goa, and later went to film festivals like the Cancun Film Festival, Mexico; Asian Festival of First Films, Singapore; and the Palms Spring Festival, California. The film was awarded the Swarovski Trophy for Best Film at the Asian Festival of First Films.
- Soundtrack of Cannes Fest entry 'Dharm' launched entertainment.oneindia, Thursday, 17 May 2007
- "55th NATIONAL FILM AWARDS FOR THE YEAR 2007" (PDF). Press Information Bureau (Govt. of India).
- Preview: Acceptance in Cannes bestows prestige and honour
- Cannes, India celebrate 60 years
- Cannes World Premiere for Bhavna Talwar’s Dharm screenindia, The Indian Express Group, 4 May 2007.
- Bhavna Talwar’s Dharm to be screened at the IFFI-2007 merinews, 16 November 2007
- "Awards for Dharm (2007)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- Dharm - Movie Review IndiaFM, Friday, 8 June 2007.
- Bhavna Talwar, Creative Director wsgpictures
- "India's entry to Oscars caught in a legal tangle". Reuters India. 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-11-14.