Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
|Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party|
|Leader||Ahmed Thasmeen Ali|
|Founded||July 21, 2005|
|Majlis of the Maldives|
|Politics of the Maldives
The Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP, Maldivian Peoples Party) is a political party, of the Maldives. On June 2, 2005, the country's 50-member parliament voted unanimously to allow and operate political parties in Maldives. The DRP subsequently submitted its registration on July 21, 2005 and was registered to be the second political party registered in the Second Republic of the Maldives. The party's leader is Ahmed Thasmeen Ali, preceded by former President of the Maldives Maumoon Abdul Gayoom who was defeated in the October 2008 presidential elections - the first multi-party election of Maldives by Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldivian Democratic Party.
DRP has the second largest number of members among all political parties in the Maldives.[verification needed] At the first multi-party parliamentary elections in the Maldives, on May 9, 2009, the DRP won 36% of the seats which is 28 out of the 77 seats in the parliament becoming the party to win the most number of seats. However, DRP gained the second most number of votes with 27.5% of the votes (39,399 votes) compared with the 35.3% of votes (50,562 votes) gained by the Maldivian Democratic Party.
At present DRP is one of the leading parties in the Parliament, People's Majlis. The Chief Whip for the party in the Majlis is Dr. Abdulla Mausoom, the Deputy Leader of DRP Parliamentary Group, and the MP for Kelaa Constituency.
- Umar Naseer (Expelled)
- Ilham Ahmed (Resigned and left the Party too)
- Ali Waheed (Resigned and left the Party)
- Ibrahim Shareef
DRP = Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party
According to the party's literature, The objectives of DRP are:
- Strengthening and protecting the existing bonds of Islamic unity.
- Grooming a new generation of well-disciplined and talented youths who will carry the mantle of national progress, in the years ahead.
- Upholding justice.
- Modeling the Maldivian society to reflect the aspirations of the people.
- Protecting the Maldives from detrimental external influences.
- Facilitating easy access to basic services such as housing, education and healthcare for every citizen.
- Introducing a new generation of youthful leaders with the vision to fashion domestic affairs in an atmosphere of peace and harmony.
- Creating a service-oriented population working steadfastly to promote the well being of the people.
- (Dhivehi) http://www.miadhu.com/2010/01/local-news/maumoon-to-resign-from-drp-leadership-today/ - "Former President Gayoom will not run for presidency or party leadership"
- (Dhivehi) http://www.drp.mv - Official website