Official DVD Cover
|Produced by||A. M. Rathnam|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
Sri Surya Movies
|Running time||172 minutes|
Dhool (English: Super) is a 2003 Tamil action film directed by Dharani. The film featured Vikram, Jyothika and Reemma Sen in the lead roles, while Vivek, Sayaji Shinde, Telangana Sakunthala and Pasupathy among others play supporting roles. The film, produced by A. M. Rathnam at a cost of 7 crore, had music composed by Vidyasagar and released in January 2003 to positive reviews and was a huge commercial success. It was dubbed into Malayalam with same title. The film is still considered as a cult masala entertainer. It was remade in Sinhala as Ranja (2014).
Arumugham (Vikram) is an uneducated, good hearted, helpful village hick. Easwari (Jyothika) is his childhood enemy who argues with him about almost everything. A chemical factory in the village pollutes the local river and when all attempts to stop the factory waste from going to the drinking water falls flat, the villagers decide to send Arumugham to Chennai and meet the concerned minister who has won from their constituency. He sets out for the city with Easwari and her grandmother and they stay with Arumugham's friend (Vivek) and gang. Swapna (Reema Sen) is a model who stays in the same area and she lusts after Arumugham. They meet the Minister (Sayaji Shinde) who is extremely nice to them and promises to help them. Soon Arumugham is forced by circumstances to fight against an anti-social gang with a lady boss. An honest police officer (Manoj K Jayan) tries to collect evidence against the criminal gang. When Arumugham realizes that the bad guys are the henchmen of the same Minister who is behind all the crimes! He starts beating the Minister with his intelligence and plans. Ultimately he solves his village's problem and at the same time kills the Minister.
- Vikram as Arumugam
- Jyothika as Eeswari
- Reemma Sen as Swapna
- Vivek as Narain
- Sayaji Shinde as Kaalaipandi
- Manoj K. Jayan as Karunakaran
- Pasupathy as Aadhi
- Mayilswamy as Kochako, Narain's Friend (at times Foil)
- Telangana Shakuntala as Sorna
- Paravai Muniyamma as Mundakanisswari
- Chitti Babu
- Shakeela as herself
- Chaplin Balu
- Koena Mitra in a special appearance (Koduva Meesai item song)
After the success of their 2001 collaboration Dhill, Dharani and Vikram announced in February 2002 that they were to come together again for a project titled Dhool. Initially Simran was selected to play the female lead, since with her Telugu projects made her to drop the movie and eventually jyothika got the chance to play opposite vikram for the first time. The film's song were partially shot in Denmark, and plans had been earlier made to shoot fight sequences in London, though the team later opted against doing so. A huge set of a temple, a church, some houses and a shopping area, was erected at the Indian Express Office premises.
|Soundtrack album by Vidyasagar|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music of the film was composed by Vidyasagar.
|"Ithanundu Muthathile"||Udit Narayan, Sowmya Raoh, Premgi Amaren|
|"Aasai Aasai"||Shankar Mahadevan, Sujatha Mohan|
|"Aruvaa Meesai"||Manickka Vinayagam, Vidhu Prabhakar|
|"Madurai Veeran"||Paravai Muniyamma|
|"Inthadi"||Tippu, Kalyan, Rafi|
|"Kundu Kundu"||KK, Sunidhi Chauhan, Pop Shalini|
Upon release in January 2003, the film opened to positive reviews and box office success despite opening alongside other prominent ventures such as the Kamal Haasan-Madhavan starrer Anbe Sivam and Vijay's Vaseegara. Rediff.com review praised Vikram's enactment citing that "Vikram is at his peak" and that "he seems as much at home with comedy as with action, in romance as in emotional sequences", while the critic from The Hindu also praised his performance. The film became a blockbuster and Vikram's fifth success in two and a half years with Vikram being dubbed as "the matinee idol of our times" by a leading Indian newspaper. The film was nominated in six different categories at the Filmfare Awards South 2003 with A. M. Rathnam, Dharani and Vidyasagar being considered for the Best Film, Best Director and Best Music Director categories respectively. Furthermore Jyothika was listed amongst the Best Actress nominees, while Reemma Sen and Vivek were also shortlisted for the Best Supporting Actress and Best Comedian awards. However the film did not win any awards with Pithamagan sweeping most of the categories that year, although Vivek did win for his role in Saamy. The film successfully ran 25 weeks.
Dhool was remade and released in Telugu in October 2003 by Ravi Raja Pinnisetty as Veede, with Ravi Teja and Arthi Agarwal taking up the lead roles, while Reemma Sen retained her role. A Hindi version of the film was also planned by Guddu Dhanoa in 2004 with Sunny Deol and Gracy Singh in the lead roles under the banner of Padmalaya, but the film failed to take off.
|Veede||Ravi Teja, Arthi Agarwal, Reemma Sen||Telugu|
|The Lion of Punjab||Diljit Dosanjh||Punjabi|
Filmfare Awards South Nominated
- Best Actress - Jyothika
- Best Actor- Vikram
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil - Reemma Sen
- Filmfare Award for Best Comedian – Tamil - Vivek
Dinakaran Awards Won
- Dinakaran Award for Best Actress- Jyothika
- Nominated—ITFA Best Actress Award
- Dhool budget - 7 crore
- "rediff.com, Movies: Vasundhara's no glam doll". rediff.com. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "Dhil to Dhool". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 1 February 2002.
- "Raising expectations". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 9 August 2002.
- "Dhool". cinematoday3.itgo.com. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "New maths for the box office". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 22 January 2003.
- Aarkhay (23 January 2003). "Vikram turns up trumps with Dhool". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Rangarajan, Malathi (24 January 2003). "Dhool". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "track record". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 6 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Veede (2003) - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "`Dhool` to be remade in Hindi". sify.com. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "Gracy Singh in Dhool". sify.com. Retrieved 2014-07-20.