|Elevation||236 m (774 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||PB 59|
|Sex ratio||53% M, 47% F ♂/♀|
Dhuri is a city in Sangrur District in the state of Punjab, India. It is located on the Ludhiana-Delhi highway. The neighbouring towns of Dhuri are Sangrur 14k.m in the South, Malerkotla 20k.m in the North, Nabha 30k.m in the East, and Barnala 35k.m in the West. It is a part of the historical Malwa region of Punjab.
Dhuri is a subdivision and it comes under the Patiala division. The city has a municipal council as its governing body and is a legislative assembly constituency of Punjab. At the national level, it comes under the Sangrur parliamentary constituency.
Dhuri, being a railway junction, is well-connected to the major cities of the country and nearby cities.
From Dhuri, one can get direct trains to Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Mathura, Jammu apart from the major cities in Punjab (Ludhiana, Patiala, Amritsar, Bathinda etc.). By road it is on Ludhiana-Sangrur highway, which leads to New Delhi via Patran, Jind and Rohtak. The nearest airports are Ludhiana (70 km) and Chandigarh (130 km).
It is known in Punjab for housing some important industrial units, especially related to processing of rice and its by-products.
The population of Dhuri was 55,225 at the 2011 India census. Males constituted 53 percent of the population and females constituted 47 percent. Dhuri has an average literacy rate of 72 percent, which is higher than the national average of 64.8 percent. Male literacy is 76 percent and female literacy is 68 percent. In Dhuri, 11 percent of the population is under 6 years of age.
Apart from having a large number of generic rice mills, Dhuri is home to a large rice mill, owned and operated by Delhi-based KRBL Group. This group is a leading exporter of Basmati Rice in India, and this unit acts as a hub of their operations. This unit was earlier operated by Oswal Agro. The city also has A. P. SOLVEX Ltd. (now called Ricela Health Foods Ltd.), one of the leading producers of Rice Bran Oil. They also market their oil under the name of RICELA.
Temples and Religion
Dhuri is also famous for its temples. There is Maharankeshwar Temple(Ranike) in Dhuri which is an old, ancient and famous temple of God Shiva situated in nearby village Ranike. It has Mansa Devi temple near village Kakarwal, also Mahavir Mandir and S.D Temple. There is also famous Gurudwaras in the region.village jahangir guru tegbahadur ji gurudwara,Gurudwar in Village Mullowal, Ramgarhia Gurudwara in the heart of the city, Gurudwara Nanaksar in Janta Nagar. It has Shanti Niketan Park which is known for its architecture and statues. Dhuri is a city with people of mixed faiths and religions. Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism are prominent religions followed by townsfolk.
The colleges and main schools in Dhuri are: (In Alphabetic Order)
- Adarsh high school.
- sen.sec.schoo.jahangir kaheru*Arya Sen. Sec. School.
- Arya Girls College,Dhuri.
- Delhi Public School, Dhuri
- Desh Bhagat College, Bardwal (Dhuri).
- Dhuri Institute Of Management, Dhuri
- Guru Teg Bahadur Public School,Bardwal (Dhuri)
- Malwa Khalsa Sen. Sec. School, Dhuri
- Modern Secular public school,dhuri.
- Public Model School, Dhuri.
- Robin Model Sen. Sec. School, Dhuri
- (Affiliated to Punjab School Education Board, Mohali)
- S.D. Sen. Sec. School,Dhuri
- Sarvhitkari Vidya Mandir, Dhuri.
- Schoolar's Pride School,Dhuri.
- The Cambridge School,Dhuri
- Vasant Valley Public School,Ladda(Dhuri)
- Vidya Sagar Polytechnic College,Dhuri .
- Sanyal, Parth (2005-05-16). "KRBL plans foray into seeds, rice bran oil biz". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2009-07-23.