Diabetes Hands Foundation
|Founder(s)||Manny Hernandez, Andreina Davila|
|Key people||Manny Hernandez (President), Donna Hill (Chair)|
|Focus(es)||"No one touched by diabetes should ever feel alone."|
Diabetes Hands Foundation is a Berkeley, CA-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has been connecting, engaging, and empowering people with diabetes and their loved ones since 2008. Diabetes Hands Foundation is funded through sponsorship income, donations, grants, and earned income.
TuDiabetes (in English) and EsTuDiabetes (in Spanish), are social networks for people touched by diabetes and were established in 2007. TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes have more than 55,000 registered members and are visited by well over 200,000 people per month. Both sites are built on the Ning platform and are examples of nonprofit online communities.
Between 2010 and 2013, Diabetes Hands Foundation partnered with Children's Hospital Boston to develop TuAnalyze (in English) and EsTuAnalisis (in Spanish), two diabetes data collection, mapping, and surveying applications. Members of the online communities could submit their Hemoglobin A1C data, and the aggregate data and displays the results on maps. The project's goal was to rapidly survey and better understand populations of people with diabetes through data donations. A research paper detailing the first lessons learned in connection with TuAnalyze was published in the Public Library of Science in 2011, and many other survey results have been published by the Boston research team.
Big Blue Test
The Big Blue Test is a program started by Diabetes Hands Foundation to raise awareness of the importance of exercise for people with diabetes. The program takes place leading up to World Diabetes Day (November 14). It reinforces the importance of exercise in managing diabetes by having participants test their blood sugar, get active, test again, and share the results online at bigbluetest.org. The results typically show how exercise reduces blood sugar levels for both people with diabetes and people without diabetes. For each Big Blue Test submitted, a donation to a diabetes charity has been made to help people with diabetes in need of supplies and/or education. More than 30,000 Big Blue Test entries have been received since 2009. As a consequence, $250,000 have been awarded in the form of Big Blue Test grants.
- 2009 - Participants were asked to do the Big Blue Test once on November 14th (World Diabetes Day). The test was done at 2pm (14:00 hours) local time (regardless of timezone).
- 2010 - The Diabetes Hands Foundation produced a video describing the benefits of doing the Big Blue Test. The program sponsor (Roche Diabetes Care - makers of ACCU-CHEK diabetes products and services) made a donation of $75,000 to help the Life for a Child Program (run by the International Diabetes Federation and Insulin for Life). More than 2,000 people did the Big Blue Test. Over 120,000 viewed the video.
- 2011 - A new promotional video was released, set to "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities. More than 8,000 Big Blue Tests were logged during the period of November 1st through November 14th. The program sponsor was once again Roche Diabetes Care. Five nonprofit organizations received $10,000 while $25,000 went to support the Life for a Child program.
- 2012 - In 2012, American Idol's Elliott Yamin and Amazing Race's Dr. Nat Strand were integral to the Big Blue Test campaign. Both live with type 1 diabetes. Between October 14th and November 14th 23,000 Big Blue Tests were collected. The program sponsor was again Roche Diabetes Care, making a $100,000 donation to support the work of seven nonprofit organizations.
- 2012 Grantees:
- Auxanomen Health Clinic at Parker Lane United Methodist Church in Austin, TX
- American Youth Understanding Diabetes Abroad, Inc. (AYUDA) for its work with the Pascua Yaqui tribe in Pima County, AZ
- DASH (Diabetes and Sports Health) Camps / LIFT-Levantaté in Oakland, CA
- Insulin for Life USA in Gainesville, FL
- University of Colorado, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Aurora, CO
- Fundación Aprendiendo a Vivir in Dominican Republic; and Fundación Diabetes Juvenil Ecuador in Ecuador, through American Youth Understanding Diabetes Abroad, Inc. (AYUDA)
- Fondation Haitienne de Diabète et de Maladies Cardio-Vasculaires (FHADIMAC) in Haiti, through World Diabetes Foundation
- 2012 Grantees:
Diabetes Advocates is a program that serves as a platform for connecting individuals and organizations that have taken a leadership role in improving the world for people touched by diabetes, to amplify their voices, offer assistance in accurate reporting about diabetes in the media, and increase their impact in the diabetes community. Since 2009, the program gas grown to nearly 100 members, many of whom have been featured on Health.com and other publications. Among other benefits, members are eligible to apply for scholarships to attend diabetes conferences, and micro-grants to support their creative ideas focused on making life better with diabetes possible. In 2012, nine grants of $2,000 were awarded as part of this program in support of diabetes education and awareness campaigns, conducted in their majority by members of Diabetes Advocates.
Word in Your Hand
The Word in Your Hand project invites participants to share photos showing a word in their hands describing life with diabetes. Through the project, people with diabetes along with their family, friends and caregivers describe their feelings towards diabetes. Between 2008 and 2011, DHF licensed the Word in Your Hand project to LifeScan, Inc. for use as part of its Global Diabetes Handprint Campaign.
No-Sugar Added Poetry
No-Sugar Added Poetry is a book of diabetes poems published in 2010 by the Diabetes Hands Foundation. It contains poems about life with diabetes written by members of TuDiabetes.org with a foreword by Bill Polonsky, founder of the Behavioral Diabetes Institute.
HealthSeeker is a social game on Facebook that aims to help people live healthy lifestyles. The game was developed in 2010 by the Diabetes Hands Foundation in collaboration with the Joslin Diabetes Center. Players select missions such as stress-reducing or exercise-inducing activities to complete within a given period of time to help create a healthier lifestyle. In November 2010, the game was made available in Spanish. In June 2011, a HealthSeeker mobile app became available for iPhone and Android users. In late 2012, Diabetes Hands Foundation sold HealthSeeker to Ayogo Health, the original developer of the game.
Awards and Recognition
- On Nov. 12, 2013, Diabetes Hands Foundation President Manny Hernandez was chosen by WebMD as one of the magazine's 2013 Health Heroes, an award for visionary Americans who met a health challenge and gave back to others in an inspiring way.
- On Nov. 5, 2013, Diabetes Hands Foundation President Manny Hernandez was named #1 Social HealthMaker on Diabetes by Sharecare.
- On Oct. 21, 2013, Diabetes Hands Foundation President Manny Hernandez was recognized by American Diabetes Association for his outstanding commitment to serving the diabetes community.
- On Sep. 24, 2012, Diabetes Hands Foundation President Manny Hernandez was the Keynote at the 2012 Joslin Diabetes & Innovation Summit at Hyatt Regency Crystal City - Arlington, VA.
- In 2012, Diabetes Hands Foundation was named by MedCityNews as one of 4 social media-savvy nonprofits using the Web creatively to make a difference in healthcare. The other three groups mentioned were Malaria No More, Stand Up To Cancer, and LIVESTRONG.
- In 2012, Diabetes Hands Foundation won two more Telly Awards for the Big Blue Test video.
- In 2012, HealthLine included the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog and TuDiabetes among The 17 Best Diabetes Blogs of 2012.
- In 2011, SharecareNow named Manny Hernandez, President of Diabetes Hands Foundation one of the Top 10 Online Influencers in Diabetes.
- In 2011, Diabetes Hands Foundation won two Telly Awards for the Big Blue Test video.
- In 2011, Diabetes Hands Foundation was a Finalist in the Technical Innovation category of the Health Care Heroes awards organized by the San Francisco Business Times.
- In the 2011 Dose of Digital Dosie Awards, TuDiabetes won Silver (Judges' Choice) for Patient Community – Non-Brand Controlled (Communities created with no direct affiliation to a pharma or healthcare company) and was Runner Up (People’s Choice) for Patient Community – Non-Brand Controlled (Communities created with no direct affiliation to a pharma or healthcare company).
- In the Healthcare Engagement Strategy Awards 2011 Diabetes Hands Foundation received the Connecting Patients Award by Creation Interactive.
- In the 2010 Dose of Digital Dosie Awards, TuDiabetes won 2nd place for Best Patient Community - Non-Brand Controlled (for communities with no direct affiliation to a pharma or healthcare company).
- In the 2010 Healthcare Engagement Strategy Awards, TuDiabetes received the Best Patient Community award by Creation Interactive.
- In 2009, Diabetes Hands Foundation was designated as a World Diabetes Day Champion by the International Diabetes Federation.
- In the 2008 Web 2.0 Awards by SEOmoz, TuDiabetes received 2nd place for Niche Social Networking.
Board of Directors, Advisors
Chairing the Board is Donna Hill, Vice President, Legal at Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics. Among the members of the board are Lorraine Stiehl, who also serves on the International Board of Directors for JDRF; global diabetes and obesity expert Kelly Close; CEO at Diabetes Prevention Source, Adam Kaufman; multiple key Patient Opinion Leaders in diabetes; the VP for Full Sail University Online; and a Marketing Executive from Clorox.
DHF also receives advice from Dr. Anne Peters, from Keck School of Medicine, USC; John Brooks, from Joslin Diabetes Center; Paul Madden; Steve Edelman, from TCOYD; Bill Polonsky, from Behavioral Diabetes Institute; Jeff Hitchcock, from Children With Diabetes; Kerri Sparling (from Six Until Me); Huffington Post columnist and diabetes advocate Riva Greenberg, mHealth Alliance Executive Team Member Jody Ranck; John Sjolund the CEO of Patients Pending Ltd the makers of Timesulin and others.
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Awards $150K to Diabetes Social Media Player
- Diabetes Hands Foundation Guidestar nonprofit report
- Social networking sites changing the way people learn about health
- Comunidad virtual en español ofrece ayuda a diabéticos
- Quantcast statistics for the Diabetes Hands Foundation websites
- Nonprofit know-how when networking on Ning
- 5 Tips for Creating Non-Profit Online Communities
- Children's project uses social network to map diabetes
- Introducing “TuAnalyze”: Why Mapping Diabetes Data Matters
- What if Self-Tracking Goes Mainstream?
- Sharing Data for Public Health Research by Members of an International Online Diabetes Social Network
- TuAnalyze blog entries on TuDiabetes
- The Big Blue Test: Worldwide Diabetes Test-In
- 2011 grantee: St. Anthony’s Medical Clinic, San Francisco
- 2011 grantee: Moundville Medical Clinic, Alabama
- "2010 Big Blue Test Video".
- "The Diabetes Hands Foundation Blog". The Diabetes Hands Foundation.
- "Big Blue Test FAQ". Diabetes Hands Foundation. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Elliott Yamin Is Jammin' for Diabetes and the Big Blue Test
- "Big Blue Test Blog".
- "Diabetes Mine". Diabetes Mine.
- Diabetes Advocates Offer Assistance in Accurate Reporting in the Media
- 11 Great Blogs and Websites for Insulin Users
- DHF Seeds program page
- Word in Your Hand initiative
- LifeScan Launches Diabetes Handprint Project
- No-Sugar Added Poetry Book Tells Diabetes Like It Is
- Video Games Modifying Behavior Towards Good
- New Facebook game seeks to manage real-world diabetes risks
- Facebook App Aims to Help Control Diabetes
- Facebook Game Focuses on Health
- Digital Channels for Diabetes: Facebook (video)
- "Nuevo juego de Facebook encara el alarmante índice de diabetes entre los Latinos". El Periódico USA. November 10, 2010.
- Will DHF's HealthSeeker game compel diabetics (and others) to live healthier?
- "WebMD Announces 2013 Health Heroes". WebMD.
- "Sharecare Names Top 10 Social HealthMakers on Diabetes". Sharecare.
- "Manny Hernandez Honored with ADA Community Award". DiabetesHandsFoundation.
- "Joslin Diabetes + Innovation - Day 2 Keynote, Manny Hernandez". YouTube.
- 4 social media-savvy nonprofits using the Web creatively to make a difference in healthcare
- Diabetes Hands Foundation wins, again, 2 Telly Awards for 2011 Big Blue Test video!
- The 17 Best Diabetes Blogs of 2012
- SharecareNow Names the Top 10 Influencers in the Online Diabetes Community
- Diabetes Hands Foundation Wins 2 Telly Awards
- Diabetes Hands Foundation uses social media
- Meet the 2011 Dosie Award Winners
- The Diabetes Hands Foundation - Connecting Patients Award
- 2010 Dose of Digital Dosie Award Winners
- Best Patient Community Award - Creation Interactive
- World Diabetes Day Champions
- SEOmoz's Web 2.0 Awards
- Diabetes Hands Foundation Board of Directors
- Diabetes Hands Foundation Board of Advisors