Dial Records (1946)
Dial Records was a United States based record label specializing in bebop jazz. Dial was founded in 1946 by Ross Russell, who operated the label for about a decade. Notable artists who recorded for Dial included Charlie Parker, who signed an exclusive one-year recording contract with Russell on 26 February 1946, Miles Davis, Max Roach, and Milt Jackson. Dial Records were made by the Tempo Music Shop of Hollywood, California.
Labels of Dial Records said that they were "Contemporary American Music", a dig at the traditionalist American Music Records label.
- Dial 1002: "A Night in Tunisia" and "Ornithology". Both tracks were recorded by the Charlie Parker Septet at the legendary recording session on 28 March 1946. On its release, Billboard considered it "A collector's item".
- Komara, Edward M. (1966) The Dial recordings of Charlie Parker: a discography, p. 11. Greenwood Publishing Group at Google Books. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Komara, Edward M. (1966) The Dial recordings of Charlie Parker: a discography, p. 3. Greenwood Publishing Group at Google Books. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Record Reviews" (18 May 1946) Billboard at Google Books. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Wheeler, Geoffrey. 1999. Jazz by Mail: Record Clubs and Record Labels, 1936 to 1958—Including Complete Discographies for Jazztone and Dial Records. Manassas, VA: Hillbrook Press. ISBN 0-9667819-0-2.