Diamond Eyes (Deftones song)
|Single by Deftones|
|from the album Diamond Eyes|
|Released||March 23, 2010|
|Genre||Alternative metal, post-metal|
|Deftones singles chronology|
"Diamond Eyes" is a song by American alternative metal band Deftones. It is the second single and title track released from Deftones' sixth studio album Diamond Eyes, and their thirteenth single overall. It is the second single recorded without bassist Chi Cheng, due to a coma induced by an automobile accident in November 2008. Former Quicksand bassist Sergio Vega fills in on bass for this single, as well as the entire Diamond Eyes album.
On March 3, 2010, Deftones posted the track listing for Diamond Eyes via their official website, and also announced that the next single, the album's title track, would be released for digital download on March 23, 2010. On March 16, the first teaser trailer in a three part succession was posted on the website, featuring artwork for the new album, and was accompanied by clips from the "Diamond Eyes" single. On March 23, 2010, "Diamond Eyes" was released for digital download on the internet, and radio stations began playing the single on March 30.
In December 2010, "Diamond Eyes" was remixed by Deftones guitarist Stephen Carpenter's side project titled Sol Invicto. The song was released as a download for $0.99USD with all the proceeds benefiting Chi Cheng's condition and hospital bills.
On April 9, 2010, Deftones posted a teaser trailer of the music video for "Diamond Eyes" on their official website, and the music video was released on Tuesday, April 13, 2010. The video was directed by Robert Schober, also known as Roboshobo.
The song was very well received by fans and critics, and was compared to the "Around the Fur" material. The breakdown that closes the track has been described as the heaviest riff that Deftones have written.
In pop culture
- Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Nick Diaz used "Diamond Eyes" as his entrance song for Dream 14
- The song appeared in the video games Saints Row: The Third and Guitar Hero Live.
- "Diamond Eyes" - 3:08
- Chino Moreno - vocals
- Stephen Carpenter - guitars
- Abe Cunningham - drums
- Frank Delgado - keyboards, samples
- Sergio Vega - bass
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Mainstream Rock Songs (Billboard)||10|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||14|
- Karan, Tim (March 17, 2010). "Deftones stream new song 'Diamond Eyes'". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "New Deftones Remix Raising Funds For Bassist". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. December 6, 2010. Retrieved December 6, 2010.
- "Deftones: Trailer For 'Diamond Eyes' Video Available". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. April 9, 2010. Retrieved April 9, 2010.
- Metal Hammer
- "'Diamond Eyes' - Deftones". Billboard. Retrieved May 27, 2010.