Diamond Trust Bank Group
|Traded as||KN: DTK|
|Key people||Abdul Samji
|Products||Banks, mortgages investments|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$64+ million (KES:5.54 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$1.924+ billion (KES:166.52 billion) (2013)|
Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTB Group) is a major banking group in East Africa, active in Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. The flagship company of the Group, Diamond Trust Bank Kenya, is licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank and national banking regulator in Kenya, East Africa's largest economy.
The Group's main offices are located at Diamond Trust Bank Centre (DTBC), along Mombasa Road, in Nairobi, Kenya. The coordinates of DTBC are:1°19'35.0"S, 36°50'54.0"E (Latitude:-1.326389; Longitude:36.848333).
The flagship of the Group is Diamond Trust Bank (Kenya), which was founded in 1946. As of December 2013[update], the Group is ranked the 8th largest commercial bank, by assets, out of 43 licensed banks in Kenya. At that time, the Group's total assets were valued at approximately US$1.924 billion (KES:166.52 billion), with shareholders' equity of about US$242.1 million (KES:20.95 billion).
Diamond Trust Bank together with its subsidiaries, which it owns, either wholly or partially, form the Diamond Trust Bank Group. The group includes the following companies:
- Diamond Trust Bank (Kenya) Limited - Retail banking - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Kenya, serving individuals and businesses. This is the flagship company of the group.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Uganda) Limited - Retail banking - Kampala, Uganda 54.1% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Uganda, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Tanzania) Limited - Retail banking - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania 62.9% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Tanzania, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Burundi) Limited - Retail banking - Bujumbura, Burundi 67.3% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Bujumbura, serving individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Insurance Agency Limited - Bancassurance - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding - This unit offers Bancassurance services.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Rwanda) Limited - Retail banking - Kigali, Rwanda - In development.
- Premier Savings and Finance Limited - Dormant - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding.
Associates companies to the group
- Jubilee Insurance Company of Burundi - Insurance - Bujumbura, Burundi - 20% Shareholding - An insurance company in Burundi. A member of Jubilee Insurance Company Limited. Jubilee Insurance which shares a common shareholder with Diamond Trust Bank (i.e. AKFED) holds 80% of the venture.
- Services and Systems Limited - Dormant - Nairobi, Kenya - 40% Shareholding.
The shares of the Diamond Trust Bank Group are listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE). As of December 2012[update], the major shareholders in the Group's stock, are depicted in the table below: In 2013, Habib Bank announced its intention increase shareholding in Diamond Trust Bank from 11.42% to 26% over a five year period. This would be through the purchase of shares from existing shareholders at the prevailing market price.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED)||17.32|
|2||HBL Pakistan of Pakistan part of AKFED||11.42|
|3||Jubilee Insurance company of Kenya part of AKFED||10.54|
|4||International Finance Corporation part of World Bank||9.85|
|5||The Diamond Jubilee Investment Trust (U) Limited, a subsidiary of AKFED||1.87|
|6||Craysell Investments Ltd||1.17|
|7||Amin Nanji Juma||0.92|
|8||Standard Chartered Nominees A/C 9230||0.70|
|9||Property Development and Management Limited||0.68|
|10||Phoenix of East Africa Assurance Company Limited||0.64|
|11||Others via Nairobi Securities Exchange||44.89|
As of August 2014[update] DTB Group maintains a total of nearly 100 branches in the East African countries where it operates. In May 2012, Kenyan press reports indicated that the group planned expansion into Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and South Sudan by 2020.
- CBK, . "Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies". Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Diamond Trust Bank Centre At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Bankelele, . (28 April 2014). "Kenya Bank Rankings By Assets In 2013". Bankelele.Co.Ke. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- DTBG, . (3 March 2014). "Audited 31 December 2013 Financial Statements And Other Disclosures" (PDF). Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTBG). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Business Times, Correspondent (15 August 2009). "Kenya’s Diamond Trust Bank To Extend To Rwanda". The New Times (Kigali). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Herbling, David (4 March 2014). "DTB Charts New Expansion Path for Kenya Banks". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- DTBG, . "Diamond Trust Bank Group: Shareholding Structure". Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTBG). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Ngigi, George (16 December 2013). "Pakistan’s Biggest Bank In Bid for 26% DTB Stake". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Irungu, Geoffrey (11 March 2011). "Diamond Trust Profit Hits KSh2.5 Billion". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Nation, Correspondent (4 May 2012). "DTB Gears Up for Rights Issue To Drive Regional Expansion". Daily Nation (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Diamond Trust Bank Tanzania Records US$7.5 Million Pre-Tax Profit
- Diamond Trust Bank Kenya official site
- Diamond Trust Bank Uganda official site
- Diamond Trust Bank Group Posts Strong Growth
- DTB Group Plans Regional Expansion