Krall at a CD signing in Toronto, Ontario (Sept 2007)
|Birth name||Diana Jean Krall|
November 16, 1964 |
Nanaimo, British Columbia
|Genres||Jazz, traditional pop, bossa nova|
|Labels||Justin Time (1993)
|Associated acts||Elvis Costello|
Diana Jean Krall, OC, OBC (born November 16, 1964) is a Canadian jazz pianist and singer, known for her contralto vocals. She has sold more than 6 million albums in the US and over 15 million worldwide. On December 11, 2009, Billboard magazine named her the second Jazz artist of the 2000–09 decade, establishing her as one of the best-selling artists of her time. She is the only jazz singer to have eight albums debuting at the top of the Billboard Jazz Albums. To date, she has won five Grammy Awards and eight Juno Awards. She has also earned nine gold, three platinum, and seven multi-platinum albums.
Krall was born on November 16, 1964, in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada, the daughter of Adella A. (née Wende) and Stephen James "Jim" Krall. Her father played piano at home and her mother sang in a community choir. She was playing piano herself at the age of four and playing jazz in a local restaurant at 15. She went to the Berklee College of Music in Boston on a scholarship before heading out to L.A. to play jazz. She returned to Canada to release her first album in 1993.
Krall lost her mother to multiple myeloma in 2002, within months of also losing her mentors Ray Brown and Rosemary Clooney. Diana's only sibling, Michelle, is a former member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Krall and British musician Elvis Costello were married on December 6, 2003 at Elton John's estate outside London. Their twin sons, Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlan James, were born December 6, 2006 in New York City.
In 1993, Krall released her first album, Stepping Out, which she recorded with John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton. It caught the attention of producer Tommy LiPuma, who produced her second album, Only Trust Your Heart (1995).
Steinway & Sons Artist since 1997 (http://www.steinway.com/artists/solo-profile/k/DianaKrall)
Her third album, All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio (1996), was nominated for a Grammy and continued for 70 weeks in the Billboard jazz charts. Love Scenes (1997) quickly became a hit record with the trio of Krall, Russell Malone (guitar) and Christian McBride (bass).
Orchestral arrangements by Johnny Mandel provided the background on When I Look In Your Eyes (1999). The band mix was kept, following arrangements on The Look of Love (2001) created by Claus Ogerman; this record achieved platinum status and reached the top 10 of the Billboard 200. The title track from the album, a cover of the Casino Royale standard popularized in the late 1960s by Dusty Springfield and Sérgio Mendes, reached number 22 on the adult contemporary chart.
In September 2001, Krall began a world tour. Her concert at the Paris Olympia was recorded and released as her first live record, Diana Krall - Live in Paris. The album included covers of Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are" (a hit on U.S. smooth jazz radio) and Joni Mitchell's "A Case Of You."
The 2001 movie The Score (U.S.A. and Germany) starring Robert De Niro and Marlon Brando, features a recording of Krall entitled: “I’ll Make It Up As I Go.” This song accompanies the film’s ending Credits (Chapter 12) and was composed by a fellow Canadian, David Foster.
After marrying Elvis Costello, she worked with him as a lyricist and started to compose her own songs, resulting in the album The Girl in the Other Room. The album, released in April 2004, quickly rose to the top five in the United Kingdom and made the Australian top 40 album charts.
Quiet Nights was released on March 31, 2009.
Krall also produced Barbra Streisand's album Love Is the Answer, released on September 29, 2009. 2011 saw Krall retreat to Sri Lanka; however, no publicity was given and the visit remained entirely private. In September 2012, she accompanied Paul McCartney at Capitol Studios in a live performance of his Album "Kisses on the Bottom", which was shown live on the internet.
Glad Rag Doll, her latest album, was released on October 2, 2012.
In 2000, she was awarded the Order of British Columbia. In 2003 she was given an honorary Ph.D. (Fine Arts) from the University of Victoria. In 2004, she was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame. In 2005, she was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
Diana Krall is a Steinway Artist.
- Studio albums
- 1993: Stepping Out
- 1995: Only Trust Your Heart
- 1996: All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio
- 1997: Love Scenes
- 1999: When I Look in Your Eyes
- 2001: The Look of Love
- 2004: The Girl in the Other Room
- 2005: Christmas Songs
- 2006: From This Moment On
- 2009: Quiet Nights
- 2012: Glad Rag Doll
- 2015: Wallflower
- Live albums
|1999||At First Sight||Singer|
|1997—1998||Melrose Place||Herself||"A Shot in the Dark" (Season 6, Episode 8, uncredited)
"Ball N' Jane" (Season 7, Episode 4)
|2001||Jazz Seen: The Life and Times of William Claxton||Herself||Documentary|
|2003||De-Lovely||Musical Performer||sings "Just One of Those Things"|
|2005||Mississippi Rising||Herself||TV documentary|
|2008—2009||Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...||Herself||"Tony Bennett" (Season 1, Episode 5)
"Diana Krall Interviewed by Elton John" (Season 1, Episode 12)
|2009||Public Enemies||Torch Singer|
|1996||All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio||Best Jazz Vocal Album||Nominated|
|1997||Love Scenes||Best Jazz Vocal Album||Nominated|
|2000||When I Look in Your Eyes||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Jazz Vocal Performance||Won|
|Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
(to Al Schmitt)
|2002||"Better Than Anything"||Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals||Nominated|
|The Look of Love||Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
(to Al Schmitt)
|2003||Live in Paris||Best Jazz Vocal Album||Won|
|2005||"I Should Care"||Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)||Nominated|
|2007||From This Moment On||Best Jazz Vocal Album||Nominated|
|2008||These Days (as featured artist)||Album Of The Year||Nominated|
|2010||Yo-Yo Ma & Friends: Songs of Joy & Peace||Best Classical Crossover Album||Nominated|
|"Quiet Nights"||Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)
(to Claus Ogerman)
- "Artist roster". Steinway & Sons. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Music review: Diana Krall". Barnes & Noble. 2001-09-18. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Best of the 2000s - Artists of the Decade" positions 51–60, Billboard.
- Kyle Smith, "Look of Love", People (Archive), March 31, 2003, Vol. 59, No. 12.
- "Krall, Diana", in Elizabeth Lumley (ed.), The Canadian Who's Who, Volume 43, University of Toronto Press, 2008, p. 710.
- "In Step With: Diana Krall". Parade Magazine. April 25, 2004.
- Susman, Gary (10 December 2003). "Get Happy Elvis Costello marries Diana Krall. The singers wed in at Elton John's castle in England on Saturday". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- "Costello and Krall have twin boys". BBC News Online. 9 December 2006. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- DVD (ending Credits), Universum Film GmbH & Co. KG., Constantin Films and BMG Video, Germany, 2005
- Lexus commercial on YouTube
- Caulfield, Keith (October 17, 2009). "Streisand Leads A Record Eight Debuts In Top 10". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media) 121 (41): 36. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Posted by orderbceditor (2009-01-15). "2000 Recipient: Diana Krall | Order of BC". Orderofbc.gov.bc.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, Media releases". Communications.uvic.ca. 2003-11-03. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Canada’s Walk of Fame celebrating Inductee Diana Krall". Canadaswalkoffame.com. 1964-11-16. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Order of Canada". Archive.gg.ca. 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Nanaimo Harbourfront Plaza Renamed". Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Honorary Board". Themmrf.org. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Cast list for Jazz Seen at IMDb
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diana Krall.|
- Diana Krall's official website
- "The State of Jazz Vocals Today" by Ted Gioia, Jazz.com
- Diana Krall at the Internet Movie Database
- Diana Krall on Twitter
|Awards and achievements|
|Juno Award for Artist of the Year