Diane Edmund Griffin (May 5, 1940–) is the Alfred and Jill Sommer Professor and Chair of the Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She holds joint appointments in the departments of Neurology and Medicine. In 2004, Dr. Griffin was elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in the discipline of microbial biology.
Education and training
After earning her undergraduate degree from Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, she joined a join MD/PhD graduate program at Stanford University, where she pursued research on immunoglobulins. Griffin received her PhD and MD in 1968 and remained at Stanford Hospital for her internship and residency.
Dr. Griffin performed postdoctoral research in virology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Along with Janice E. Clements and others, Griffin is a notable trainee of neurovirology specialist Richard T. Johnson.
Dr. Griffin became a faculty member at Johns Hopkins in 1973 in the Department of Neurology. She attained the rank of full professor in 1986. In 1994, Griffin became the chair of the Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, now known as the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Virology has been Griffin's specialty since her postdoctoral work. Her research examines how the body responds to viral infection. Griffin has placed particular emphasis on the central nervous system, researching the effects of Sindbis virus and the measles virus on the brain.
Honors and awards
- Dr. Griffin has received numerous awards and honorific memberships.
- Membership in the National Academy of Sciences (2004)
- Membership of the American Academy of Microbiology
- Membership in the Institute of Medicine
- Dr. Griffin was awarded the Pioneer in NeuroVirology Award by the International Society for NeuroVirology at the 9th International Symposium on NeuroVirology held in Miami, Florida, in 2009.
- Berger, Stephanie, "Diane E. Griffin M.D., Ph.D.", Archives of Maryland (Maryland State Archives), retrieved 2013-04-08.
- Zagorski, N. (2005). "Profile of Diane E. Griffin". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102 (33): 11578–11580. doi:10.1073/pnas.0505531102. PMC 1188013. PMID 16087864.
- Bloomberg School of Public Health faculty webpage
- 2009 recipient of the ISNV Pioneer in NeuroVirology Award