Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Cover of first edition of the book
|Original title||Diary of a Wimpy Kid|
|Cover artist||Jeff Kinney and Chad W. Beckerman|
|Series||Diary of a Wimpy Kid|
|April 1, 2007|
|Media type||Print (paperback, hardcover)|
|Followed by||Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules|
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a satirical realistic fiction novel by Jeff Kinney. It is the first book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. The book is about a boy named Greg Heffley and his struggles in middle school.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid first appeared on FunBrain.com in 2004, where it was read 20 million times. The abridged hardcover adaptation was released on April 1, 2007. Diary of a Wimpy Kid was named New York Times bestseller among awards and praise. A film of the same name was released on March 19, 2010. The sequel to the film is Rodrick Rules, followed by Dog Days.
In 2005, FunBrain and Jeff Kinney released an online version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The website made daily entries until June 2005. The book became an instant hit and the online version received about 20 million views as of 2007. Many online readers requested a printed version. At the 2006 New York Comic-Con and Kinney proposed Diary, to Charles Kochman, Editorial Director of the ComicArts division of Abrams Books, who purchased the rights to the book. According to Kochman, the two initially conceived it as a book for adults, believing it would have an appeal to audiences similar to that of the TV series The Wonder Years. Kochman brought it before the Abrams publishing board, which convinced Kinney and Kochman that it would be better aimed toward children. In 2007, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, an abridged version of the original online book, was published.
- Gregory Heffley
The main character, Greg, has trouble with family, friends, and his local middle school. He tries to fit in in his neighborhood and usually does not succeed. Facing many troubles, Greg attempts to handle them very creatively, but unfortunately his antics often backfire on him.
- Rowley Jefferson
Greg's best friend. He is always willing to do what Greg tells him and is going on vacations all the time, which annoys Greg. Rowley is a loyal friend from lots of people's perspectives.
- Manny Heffley
Greg's "spoiled" little brother. He never gets in trouble no matter what, even when he really deserves it. Manny is three years old.
- Rodrick Heffley
Rodrick is Greg's older brother and he never misses a chance to terrorize Greg. He is known for sleeping excessively and his rebellious attitude. Rodrick is part of a band called "The Löded Diper". Rodrick will do anything to embarrass Greg and will even wind up Manny to make everyone's life a misery.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is the first book in an ongoing book franchise. The second, Rodrick Rules was released February 1, 2008 and was listed on the New York Times Best Sellers list for 117 weeks. The Last Straw, the third book in the series, released on January 13, 2009 was on the New York Times Best Sellers list for 65 weeks, peaking at number one. Dog Days was released October 12, 2009 with 217 pages. The book was ranked at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers List for all 25 weeks of inclusion, making Dog Days the #1 Best Selling Book of 2009. The Ugly Truth was released November 9, 2010 with 217 pages. The sixth, Cabin Fever was released November 15, 2011. The seventh, The Third Wheel was released on November 13, 2012. The eighth, Hard Luck was released on November 5, 2013 in the United States and on November 6 in the United Kingdom. The ninth, The Long Haul will be released on November 4, 2014 in the US and November 5, 2014 in the UK.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a 2010 American comedy directed by Thor Freudenthal and based on Jeff Kinney's book. The film was released on March 19, 2010. It was released on DVD, iTunes, and Blu-ray on August 3, 2010. The movie stars Zachary Gordon as Greg Heffley, Robert Capron as Rowley Jefferson, Steve Zahn as Frank Heffley (Dad), Rachael Harris as Susan Heffley (Mom), Devon Bostick as Rodrick Heffley, Chloë Grace Moretz as Angie Steadman, and Connor & Owen Fielding as Manny Heffley, Greg's brother.
- The Book is in Stores, April 1, 2007
- "Diary of A Wimpy Kid details". Amulet Books. 2007-04-13.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". Funbrain. Family Education Network. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- Vorce, Kristin (August 11, 2011). "Abrams Books: Making Publishing an Art". NYU Pub Posts.
- Thomases, Martha (September 7, 2008). "Interview: Harry N. Abrams’ Charles Kochman". ComicMix.
- Kinney, Jeff (February 2008). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. Amulet Books. ISBN 0-8109-9313-9.
- Kinney, Jeff (January 2009). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (series). Amulet Books.
- Dixler, Elsa. "The New York Times Best Sellers: Children's Books". The New York Times. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Kinney, Jeff (October 2010). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (series). Amulet Books.
- Kinney, Jeff (November 2011). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (series). Amulet Books.
- Breznican, Anthony (September 29, 2009). "First Look: 'Wimpy Kid' actor embraces being 'a likable jerk'". USA Today. Retrieved October 20, 2009.
- McNary, Dave (August 3, 2009). "Steve Zahn to star in 'Wimpy Kid'". Variety. Retrieved October 20, 2009.
- McCarron, Heather (October 12, 2009). "Nothing 'Wimpy' about local author's success". Milford Daily News. Retrieved October 20, 2009.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie main page". 20th Century Fox. Jeff Kinney. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Official website
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid on FunBrain.com
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Channel One News Interview with Jeff Kinney on Channel One News
- The Wonderful World of Wimpy - Parade magazine An interview with Jeff Kinney in Parade Magazine