Wertheim's fatal injury occurred after Stefan Edberg sent an errant serve directly into his groin. The official had been sitting in a chair and officiating at the center line when the blow knocked him backward. He fell out of the chair and onto the hardcourt surface, striking his head.
- Wertheim, Jon (2005-10-19). "Czech yourself (pt. 3)". SI.com. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- "Odd mishap fells tennis official". Evening Independent (St. Petersburg, Fla.). 12 September 1983. p. 3-C. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- "Tennis serve kills official". The Afro American. 24 September 1983. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Digest ..Us Open Linesman Dies" Tri City Herald 17 September 1983
- "Tennis Group Sued Over Death" New York Times 6 September 1984
|This American biographical article related to tennis is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|