Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You
|"Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You"|
|Single by Kellie Pickler|
|from the album Kellie Pickler|
|Released||August 31, 2009|
|Length||3:24 (radio edit)
4:45 (album version)
|Kellie Pickler singles chronology|
"Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" is a song written by Chris Lindsey, Aimee Mayo, and Troy Verges, and recorded by American country artist Kellie Pickler. It was released in August 2009 as the third single from her self-titled second album, and her sixth single release overall.
"Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" is a power ballad, backed primarily by piano and electric guitar. The female narrator describes the feeling of losing the one she loves, responding to him with the question: 'Didn't you know how much I loved you?'
The song was originally featured as a track on Pickler's debut album, Small Town Girl. It was later re-recorded and included on her self-titled second album, from which it was released as a single at Pickler's request: "I love 'Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You!' I was gonna put it on every album until it was released as a single. I guess they figure this might finally shut me up."
Jim Malec of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-up rating. Although he described the verses as "disposable and generic", he thought that the song's hook compensated. "“Didn’t you know how much I loved you?” is a great hook. Great enough that we’re not going to remember how average the rest of the song is, only the tremendous power of those words." He also complimented her vocals: "Pickler hits the song’s melodic peak she’s soaring, squeezing out every bit of power and emotion her voice can muster." Roughstock reviewer Bobby Peacock also described the verses as "pedestrian" but added, "[w]ith a good enough vocal performance, even a trite lyric can be elevated greatly." His review also desecribes the title hook favorably. Kevin J. Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a C rating. "There’s such an incongruity between the softly sung verses and the bombastic chorus that it’s hard to get a handle on how she’s asking the titular question. Is she angry? Sad? Disappointed? Disbelieving? Take any twenty seconds of the song, and you might get a different answer."
The music video, directed by Roman White, debuted on CMT on September 11, 2009. The video begins with Pickler sitting on a bed, before making her way outside to a balcony. She is then shown standing among ruins, and then walking along the beach. The video was shot in the Dominican Republic.
"Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" debuted at number 55 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of September 12, 2009. After 26 weeks on the chart, it peaked at number fourteen for the week of February 27, 2010.
|US Billboard Hot 100||97|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||14|
- Sony Music Nashville: KELLIE PICKLER'S “DIDN’T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVED YOU” SET AS NEXT SINGLE
- The 9513: Kellie Pickler – “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You”
- Peacock, Bobby (2009-08-27). "Kellie Pickler — "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You"". Roughstock. Retrieved 2009-10-25.
- Country Universe: Kellie Pickler, “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You”
- CMT.com: Music Binge - 9.11.09 : Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You
- Roughstock Blog: Kellie Pickler Gives Back on Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- "Kellie Pickler Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Kellie Pickler. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- "Kellie Pickler Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kellie Pickler. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- "'Idol' track sales: Adam Lambert tops 100K for the week, approaching a million total". USA Today. April 21, 2010.