Diederich Franz Leonhard von Schlechtendal
He studied in Berlin, in 1819 becoming curator of the Royal Herbarium. He was a professor of botany and director of the Botanical Gardens at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg from 1833 until his death in 1866.
He was editor of the botanical journal Linnaea (from 1826), and with Hugo von Mohl (1805-1872), was publisher of the Botanischen Zeitung (from 1843).
He conducted important investigations of the then largely unknown flora of Mexico, carried out in conjunction with Adelbert von Chamisso (1781-1838), and based on specimens collected by Christian Julius Wilhelm Schiede (1798-1836) and Ferdinand Deppe (1794-1861).
- Animadversiones botanicae in Ranunculaceas, Berlin 1819–1820.
- Flora berolinensis, Berlin 1823–1824.
- Adumbrationes plantarum, 1825–1832.
- Flora von Deutschland, Jena 1840–1873 (with Christian Eduard Langethal and Ernst Schenk; fifth edition by Ernst Hallier 1880–1887).
- Hortus halensis, Halle 1841–1853.
The standard botanical abbreviation Schltdl. is applied to species he described.
|This article about a German botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mycologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|