Diego Corrales vs. Jose Luis Castillo
|Date||May 7, 2005|
|Title(s) on the line||WBC Lightweight Title
WBO Lightweight Title
|Diego Corrales vs. José Luis Castillo|
|Tale of the tape|
|Sacramento, California, USA||From||Empalme, Sonora, Mexico|
|39-2-0 (32 KO)||Pre-fight record||52-6-1 (46 KO)|
|WBO Lightweight||Recognition||WBC Lightweight|
On May 7, 2005, Corrales defeated José Luis Castillo for the WBC lightweight title via TKO in the tenth round. The fight is almost universally regarded as the best fight of 2005. Both men stood in front of each other, battering each other with hard combinations and power punches throughout the entire fight. Finally, in the tenth round, Castillo knocked Corrales down. Seconds later, Castillo knocked Corrales down again. Once on the ground, Corrales managed to beat the count, and, after a point was taken away for excessive spitting out of the mouthpiece, Corrales connected with a punch that Castillo later called "a perfect right hand." Corrales then trapped Castillo against the ropes and landed numerous punches, causing the referee, Tony Weeks, to stop the fight.
A rematch between Corrales and Castillo occurred on October 8, 2005. On the day before the fight, Castillo weighed-in 3½ lb over the 135 lb (61 kg) lightweight limit. Since Castillo did not make the weight, the fight became a non-title bout. The two fighters continued with the same fighting style that they had used in the first fight, trading inside punches throughout the first three rounds. Early in the fourth round, Castillo knocked down Corrales with a left hook to his chin. Corrales wobbled to his feet at the referee's count of ten, causing the fight to end.
- Juan Manuel Márquez Méndez defeats Victor Polo via unanimous decision Retaining WBA Featherweight and IBF Featherweight Title.
- Rafael, Dan. "First Corrales-Castillo fight best of year". ESPN, December 26, 2005. Retrieved on August 17, 2014.
- Fernandez, Bernard. "2005 Fight of the Year". Philadelphia Daily News (reprinted by Boxing Writers Association of America). Retrieved on August 17, 2014.
- Levy, Glen. "Top 10 Boxing Matches of All Time". TIME, April 15, 2010. Retrieved on August 17, 2014.
- Iole, Kevin. "Diego Corrales' epic win nine years ago won't soon be forgotten". Yahoo! Sports, May 7, 2014. Retrieved on August 17, 2014.