|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2009)|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: DGII|
|Headquarters||Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States|
Number of locations
|United States, Germany, Spain, UK, India, Singapore, China,|
Number of employees
Digi International was founded in 1985 as DigiBoard and is headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA. The company went public as Digi International in 1989 and is traded on the NASDAQ National Market under the symbol DGII. The company initially offered intelligent ISA/PCI boards (the 'DigiBoard') with multiple asynchronous serial interfaces for PCs. Nowadays, multi-port serial boards are still part of the product line-up, but the company is focusing on embedded and external network (wired and wireless) communication solutions as well as enterprise-class USB products. The company has a full line of radio modems and embedded modules based on current CDMA and GSM communications platforms.
Digi International has acquired a number of companies since it went Public.
- 2012 Digi acquire Etherios a Chicago-based salesforce.com Platinum Partner.
- 2009 Digi acquire Mobiapps a fabless manufacturer of satellite modems on the Orbcomm satellite network.
- 2008 Spectrum Design Solutions Inc. a design services company specicalising in Wireless technologies is acquired.
- 2008 Digi acquires a European manufacturer of cellular router products, Sarian Systems Ltd. in a $30.5M deal.
- 2006 MaxStream, a company that specialized in wireless technology primarily for embedded electronics is purchased for $38.8M
- 2005 Digi acquires FS Forth-Systeme GmbH (Breisach, Germany) and Sistemas Embebidos S.A. (Logroño, Spain), manufacturers of embedded processor modules using Net Silicon and other processor platforms.
- 2005 Rabbit Semiconductor a manufacturer of Z180 based silicon, embedded modules and Single Board Computers.
- 2002 Digi acquires Net Silicon a fabless manufacturer of ARM based micro processors with a focus on networking.
- 1991 Digi acquires Arnet Corp
Cellular Enterprise Routers
The Digi TransPort WR family of cellular routers provides secure high-speed wireless connectivity to remote sites for primary or backup wireless broadband network connectivity.
Digi's multi-functional, enterprise class wireless cellular routers and WiMAX routers with optional Gobi support are designed for enterprise, retail, transportation, financial, remote office and network backup applications.
The product family includes the following cellular routers:
- Digi TransPort WR11
- Digi TransPort WR21
- Digi TransPort WR44
- Digi TransPort WR44R
- Digi TransPort WR44RR
XBee and Long Range Radios
Digi International manufactures a variety of RF solutions, both on the module level as well as long-range ethernet and serial modems. XBee is the brand name for Digi International’s family of form factor compatible radio modules. The family of modules consist of a wide variety of radios that support a number of wireless protocols and are certified for worldwide use.
XBee supports the following protocols: 802.15.4, DigiMesh, ZigBee, ZigBee Smart Energy, and Wi-Fi.
In addition to the XBee line of RF modules, Digi manufactures a variety of 900MHz modems built for long range communications. In early 2015, the Digi XLR PRO was announced. This 900MHz has a LOS range over 100 miles. The radio uses patent-pending Punch2 Technology to block out interference from near-by radios and achieve a high quality link over long distances.
Long Range 900 MHz Radios
- Dig XLR PRO
- XPress Ethernet Bridge
Digi offers a number of solutions on module based on Freescale’s i.MX processors. The most recent addition to these embedded solutions is the ConnectCore 6. The ConnectCore 6, which is an ultra-compact system-on-module solution based on the Freescale i.MX6 processor family. Its low-profile, surface-mount design maximizes integration flexibility and significantly reduces design risk in a highly cost-effective form factor.
- NS 9210 / 9215 — ARM9 core @ 150 MHz, 10/100 Ethernet MAC, AES encryption, 2 × 300 MHz PIC processors for interfacing
- Rabbit 4000 — 60 MHz, 10BASE-T Ethernet MAC, AES encryption
- Rabbit 5000 — 100 MHz, 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi baseband MAC, 10/100 Ethernet MAC, AES encryption
- Rabbit 6000 — 300 MHz, 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi baseband MAC, 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY, USB 2.0 full-speed host, AES encryption
- XBee — family of small radios with compatible footprints
Embedded processor modules
- Connect Core Wi-MX51 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX51 processor
- Connect Core Wi-MX53 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX53 processor
- Connect Card Wi-MX28 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX28 processor
Digi International offers a wide range of industrial (harsh environment) products. The Connect Family of products offer specific iterations on cellular WAN connectivity for various devices. The ConnectPort Family embellishes this by offering various router features including multiple Ethernet and RS232 DB9 port configurations. These devices are generally configured with a web based interface similar to a standard home networking router.
- Digi Connect WAN
- Digi ConnectPort WAN
- Digi ConnectPort X
- Digi Connect ES (Extended Safety)
- Digi Connect ME (Micro Embedded)
- Digi Connect Wi-ME (Wireless Micro Embedded)
- Digi Connect SP (Single Port)
- Digi Connect Wi-SP (Wireless Single Port)
- Digi Connect EM (Embedded Module)
- Digi Connect Wi-EM (Wireless Embedded Module)
- Digi ConnectPort Display
- Digi ShowBox
- Digi Passport
- Digi Transport
- Digi PortServer TS (Terminal Server)
- Digi CM
- Digi RPM
- Digi AccelePort
- Digi NEO
DigiMesh is a proprietary peer-to-peer wireless networking topology developed by Digi International. The protocol allows for time synchronized sleeping nodes/routers and low-power battery powered operation. The protocol is currently supported by several 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz radio modules from Digi International.
- "Digi International Acquires Etherios, a Leading Cloud Computing Services Provider" (Press release). November 1, 2012.
- "Digi International Enters Satellite M2M Market with Acquisition of MobiApps Assets" (Press release). June 8, 2009. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Acquires Spectrum Design Solutions Inc., a Leading Wireless Design Services Firm" (Press release). April 4, 2008. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Acquires Sarian Systems Ltd." (Press release). July 23, 2008. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- MaxStream Acquired By Digi International In $38.5 Million Deal, Wireless Design Online, 2006, retrieved July 12, 2012
- http://www.controleng.com/article/313460-Digi_buys_FS_Forth_Systeme_Sistemas_Embebidos_for_4_4_million.php[dead link]
- http://www.digi.com/news/pressrelease.jsp?prid=194[dead link]
- "Digi International, Inc. - Company Snapshot". Alacra. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Connect® Family and ConnectPort™ TS Family User’s Guide".
- "The DigiMesh™ Networking Protocol". Digi International. Retrieved July 12, 2012.