|Single by Daft Punk|
|from the album Discovery|
|Released||21 August 2001|
Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo
|Daft Punk singles chronology|
"Digital Love" is a song by the French electronic music duo Daft Punk. It was released as the third single from the album Discovery. As part of the album, the song is featured in the film Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.
As documented in the Discovery liner notes, the song features a sample of "I Love You More" by George Duke. The sample was worked into an electronic pop song about unspoken love with lyrics by DJ Sneak and vocals performed by Daft Punk. Friend and occasional collaborator Chilly Gonzales remarked upon the unresolved chord progression derived from the sample, noting that the suspended harmonies contribute to the song's sense of longing and desire.
The track is known for the solo featured prominently on its second half. Thomas Bangalter revealed that the solo was created using a mixture of elements, aided by music sequencers. "No one plays solos in their songs anymore, but we wanted to include some on the album." Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo also noted the duo's use of in-studio equipment to evoke the sound of a previous artist:
|“||On 'Digital Love,' you get this Supertramp vibe on the bridge. We didn't sample Supertramp, but we had the original Wurlitzer piano they used, so we thought it would be more fun to have the original instrument and mess around with it. We use mainly vintage synthesizers, like older electric pianos like the Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet. We didn't use the Clavinet on Discovery, but I usually use it in my studio.||”|
The American band Hellogoodbye often uses the first two verses of "Digital Love" in place of the second verse of the song "Here (In Your Arms)" when performing live. A live version of the song, performed by Danish group Alphabeat is available as part of an iTunes Live EP.
"Digital Love" charted backed with "Aerodynamic" due to equal club play. It charted at #14 on the UK Singles Chart and made #9 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart in the United States. It also reached #67 in Australia, promoted along with its B-side, "Aerodynamic".
The song was featured in a GAP television advertisement. It featured both members of Daft Punk wearing their robotic helmets and gloves as well as GAP denim shirts and jeans. They appeared dancing with Juliette Lewis. When asked about Daft Punk's dancing in the ad, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo stated "It looks really simple to do, but when you're on a step with the crew, it's really not, even though the choreographer was really nice." "Digital Love" was also used by Nokia for a commercial of the Nokia 5300, and several MTV programs Is It College Yet?, Pimp my Ride, Date My Mom and Next.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||38|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||85|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||60|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||14|
- Carlos Sosa (aka DJ Sneak) received a songwriter credit in the liner notes of Discovery (2001) and full lyrical acknowledgement in the end credits of Interstella 5555 (2003).
- Discovery liner notes: "performed by Daft Punk."
- Lachman, Ed (April 30, 2013). "Daft Punk | Random Access Memories | The Collaborators, Episode 6: Chilly Gonzales". The Creators Project. YouTube. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Chris Gill. "ROBOPOP". Archived from the original on 8 December 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2006.
- Bryan Reesman, Interview at mixonline.com
- Connecting to the iTunes Store
- Michael Hamersly, "Ask the DJ" at the Wayback Machine (archived September 29, 2007) The Miami Herald. Retrieved on March 6, 2007.
- "Daft Punk - Digital Love". Spanish Charts (Hung Medien). Retrieved on 21 May 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Daft Punk – Digital Love" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Daft Punk – Digital Love" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Lescharts.com – Daft Punk – Digital Love" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Chartverfulgong > Daft Punk > Digital Love – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – Daft Punk – Digital Love". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 2001-06-23" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- Daft Punk official site
- Daft Punk official site (German)
- Virgin Records Daft Punk official site
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics