Audio editing software
Audio editing software is software which allows editing and generating of audio data. Audio editing software can be implemented completely or partly as library, as computer application or as a loadable kernel module.
A digital audio workstation (DAW) can consist to a great part out of software. are usually software suites composed of many distinct software components, giving access to them through a unified graphical user interface using GTK+, Qt or some other library for the GUI widgets.
For use with music
Editors designed for use with music typically allow the user to do the following:
- The ability to import and export various audio file formats for editing.
- Record audio from one or more inputs and store recordings in the computer's memory as digital audio
- Edit the start time, stop time, and duration of any sound on the audio timeline
- Fade into or out of a clip (e.g. an S-fade out during applause after a performance), or between clips (e.g. crossfading between takes)
- Mix multiple sound sources/tracks, combine them at various volume levels and pan from channel to channel to one or more output tracks
- Apply simple or advanced effects or filters, including compression, expansion, flanging, reverb, audio noise reduction and equalization to change the audio
- Playback sound (often after being mixed) that can be sent to one or more outputs, such as speakers, additional processors, or a recording medium
- Conversion between different audio file formats, or between different sound quality levels
Typically these tasks can be performed in a manner that is both non-linear and non-destructive.
For use with speech
Editors designed for use in speech research add the ability to make measurements and perform acoustic analyses such as extracting and displaying a fundamental frequency contour or spectrogram. They typically lack most or all of the effects of interest to musicians.
- Audio signal processing
- Digital audio workstation
- Comparison of digital audio editors
- Music sequencer
- Software synthesizer
- Free audio software
- Software effect processor
|This article related to a type of software is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|