Digital marketing is marketing that makes use of electronic devices (computers) such as personal computers, smartphones, cellphones, tablets and game consoles to engage with stakeholders. Digital marketing applies technologies or platforms such as websites, e-mail, apps (classic and mobile) and social networks. Many organisations cross traditional and digital marketing channels.
The term 'digital marketing' was first used in the 1990s. In the 2000s and the 2010s, digital marketing became more sophisticated as an effective way to create a relationship with the consumer that has depth and relevance.
Types of digital marketing
Two different forms of digital marketing exist:
In pull digital marketing, the consumer does not actively seek the marketing content, often via web searches or opening an email, text message or web feed Websites, blogs and streaming media (audio and video) are examples of pull digital marketing. In each of these, users have to navigate to the website to view the content. Only current web browser technology is required to maintain static content. Search engine optimization is one tactic used to increase activity. In 2003, Martin et al. found that consumers prefer special sales and new product information, whereas "interesting" content was not useful.
In push digital marketing the marketer sends a message without the consent of the recipients, such as display advertising on websites and news blogs. Email, text messaging and web feeds can also be classed as push digital marketing when the recipient has not given permission to receive the marketing message.
Push and pull message technologies can be used in conjunction. For example, an email campaign can include a banner ad or link to a content download.
- Clark, Dorie (11 November 2012), The End of the Expert: Why No One in Marketing Knows What They're Doing, Forbes, archived from the original on 4 November 2013
- Kates, Matthew (17 April 2013), Making digital and traditional marketing work together, Econsultancy, archived from the original on 25 November 2013
- Brinkley, Claire (18 October 2012), Digital marketing is growing in Australia, but so is the skills gap, Econsultancy, archived from the original on 21 October 2012
- eMarketer (25 September 2013), Worldwide Ad Growth Buoyed by Digital, Mobile Adoption, eMarketer, archived from the original on 12 November 2013
- Martin, Brett A. S.; Van Durme, Joël; Raulas, Mika; Merisavo, Marko (2003), "Email Marketing: Exploratory Insights from Finland", Journal of Advertising Research 43 (3): 293–300, archived from the original on 30 May 2013