||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2012)|
Digital nomads are individuals that leverage wireless digital technologies to perform their work duties, and more generally conduct their lifestyle in a nomadic manner. Such workers typically work remotely—from home, coffee shops, public libraries and even from recreational vehicles to accomplish tasks and goals that used to traditionally take place in a single stationary workplace.
Nomadic entrepreneurs and professionals often work as freelance writers, photographers, affiliate marketers, web designers, software developers, graphic designers, and other types of knowledge workers who can perform work duties irrespective of physical location. They use new technologies like wireless internet, smartphones, Voice over IP, and cloud-based applications to conduct business, work remotely, and earn an income wherever they live or travel. Digital nomads also often utilize coworking spaces and shared offices in major cities around the world.
More and more digital nomads are traveling internationally and moving abroad, while they continue to work with clients or employers in the west. This sort of nomadic expatriation does present challenges such as maintaining international health insurance with coverage globally, abiding by different local laws and sometimes obtaining work visas, and maintaining long-distance relationships with friends and family back home.
Also referred to as location independent professionals (LIP) or entrepreneurs. Many Location Independent Entrepreneurs are "PT's" or consider themselves to be a Perpetual traveler. Digital nomads often practice Flag Theory by planting strategic flags around the world to arbitrage cost of living, or benefits of a given jurisdiction.
- Tsugio Makimoto & David Manners (1 January 1997), Digital nomad, Wiley
- Mike Elgan (1 August 2009), Is Digital Nomad Living Going Mainstream?, Computerworld
- Meggan Snedden (30 August 2013), When work is a nonstop vacation, BBC.com - Capital
- Edmund John (19 May 2014), I'm Location Independent, Where should I set up a Company, www.FlagTheory.com
- Digital Nomads and Permanent Travel
- Online Digital Nomad Community
- Digital Nomad Job Information
- A Brief History of Digital Nomading
- What I Learned Living Abroad as a Digital Nomad
- Current home of Steven Roberts, the first "Technomad"
- Digital Location Independent Lifestyle Designing NuNomads - Compare/Contrast of the various labels
- Brazilian couple traveling around the world