Digital nomads are individuals who leverage telecommunications technologies to perform their work duties, and more generally conduct their lifestyle in a nomadic manner. Such workers typically work remotely—from home, coffee shops, public libraries and even from recreational vehicles to accomplish tasks and goals that used to traditionally take place in a single stationary workplace.
Nomadic entrepreneurs and professionals often work as freelance writers, photographers, video makers, affiliate marketers, web designers, software developers, graphic designers, and other types of knowledge workers who can perform work duties irrespective of physical location. They use new technologies like wireless internet, smartphones, Voice over IP, and cloud-based applications to conduct business, work remotely, and earn an income wherever they live or travel. Digital nomads also often utilize coworking spaces, house sitting  agreements and shared offices in major cities around the world.
More and more digital nomads are traveling internationally and moving abroad, while they continue to work with clients or employers in the west. This sort of nomadic expatriation does present challenges such as maintaining international health insurance with coverage globally, abiding by different local laws and sometimes obtaining work visas, and maintaining long-distance relationships with friends and family back home.
Also referred to as location independent professionals (LIP) or entrepreneurs. Many Location Independent Entrepreneurs consider themselves to be Perpetual travelers (PTs). Digital nomads often practice Flag Theory by planting strategic flags around the world to arbitrage cost of living, or benefits of a given jurisdiction.
- Tsugio Makimoto & David Manners (1 January 1997), Digital nomad, Wiley
- Mike Elgan (1 August 2009), Is Digital Nomad Living Going Mainstream?, Computerworld
- Become a Digital Nomad by House Sitting, Trusted Housesitters
- House Sitting pode te ajudar a ser um Nômade Digital (in Portuguese), Vida Cigana
- Meggan Snedden (30 August 2013), When work is a nonstop vacation, BBC.com - Capital
- Edmund John (19 May 2014), I'm Location Independent, Where should I set up a Company, www.FlagTheory.com
- "Marcus & Feli: Work Hard and Travel the World," The Surf Office, January 5, 2015
- Digital Nomad Hub
- Digital Nomad Resources
- Digital Nomad Forum (Families, Couples, Singles, Friends)
- Being a Digital Nomad Mother
- Digital Nomads and Permanent Travel
- Digital Nomad Community Chat
- Life as a Digital Nomad Family
- Digital Nomad
- Digital Nomad Job Information
- A Brief History of Digital Nomading
- What I Learned Living Abroad as a Digital Nomad
- Current home of Steven Roberts, the first "Technomad"
- Digital Location Independent Lifestyle Designing NuNomads - Compare/Contrast of the various labels
- Brazilian couple traveling around the world
- Tropical MBA: Blog and podcast for digital nomads
- Wired Vagabond
- Digital Nomads UK
- Mobile & Flexible Working Community