Digital transformation refers to the changes associated with the application of digital technology in all aspects of human society. Digital transformation may be thought as the third stage of embracing digital technologies: digital competence → digital literacy → digital transformation. The latter stage means that digital usages inherently enable new types of innovation and creativity in a particular domain, rather than simply enhance and support the traditional methods.
In a narrower sense, "digital transformation" may refer to the concept of "going paperless".
In November 2011, a three-year study conducted by the MIT Center for Digital Business and Capgemini Consulting concluded that only one-third of companies globally have an effective digital transformation program in place.
The study defined an "effective digital transformation program" as one that addressed
- "The What": the intensity of digital initiatives within a corporation
- "The How": the ability of a company to master transformational change to deliver business results.
- Erik Stolterman, Anna Croon Fors, "Information TEchnology and the Good Life", in: "Information systems research: relevant theory and informed practice", 2004, ISBN 1-4020-8094-8, p. 689
- Digital literacies: concepts, policies and practices By Colin Lankshear, Michele Knobel, 2008, p. 173
- Digital transformation: the essentials of e-business leadership, by Keyur Patel, Mary Pat McCarthy, 2000, ISBN 0-07-136408-0
- E-government in Canada: transformation for the digital age By Jeffrey Roy, 2006, ISBN 0-7766-0617-4
- Mass Communication And Its Digital Transformation, by Ramanujam, 2009, ISBN 81-313-0039-0
- Art & Computers: an exploratory investigation on the digital transformation of art. PH.D. thesis, published in Cyber Flux News, July 1997, and in the Encyclopedia of Postmodernism, Victor E. Taylor, Charles E. Winquist, London and New York, Routledge, 2001.
- Digital medicine: implications for healthcare leaders, by Jeff Charles Goldsmith, 2003, ISBN 1-56793-211-8
- Digital Transformation By Mark Baker, 2014, ISBN 978-1500448486
- Digital Transformation: A Roadmap for Billion-Dollar Organization (Report). Capgemini Consulting. 2011.
|This sociology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|