Dilip P. Gaonkar
|Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar|
|Alma mater||University of Mumbai
University of Pittsburgh
|Notable award(s)||1991: Golden Anniversary Monographs Award
1994:Golden Anniversary Monographs Award
Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar (born 1945) is an Associate Professor in Rhetoric and Public Culture and the Director of Center for Global Culture and Communication at Northwestern University. He is also the Director of Center for Transcultural Studies, an independent scholarly research network concerned with global issues. In 2009, Gaonkar was appointed Executive Editor of the interdisciplinary journal of cultural studies Public Culture, after being in charge of the Doxa section for several years.
Gaonkar has two sets of scholarly interests: the intellectual tradition of rhetoric with both its ancient roots and its contemporary mutations; and, global modernities and their impact on the political. For the former, see his essay on “The Idea of Rhetoric in the Rhetoric of Science” which was published along with 10 critical responses as book, Rhetorical Hermeneutics (edited by Alan Gross and William Keith, 1995). In the latter categories, he has edited a series of special issue of Public Culture, including Alternative Modernities (2001) New Imaginaries (2002) and Cultures of Democracy (2008).
Goankar's doctoral thesis at the University of Pittsburgh (1984) was titled Aspects of sophistic pedagogy (1984)  a study in Rhetoric. His prior degrees include M.A. in Theatre (Tufts University), M.A. in Political Science (University of Bombay) and B.A. in Politics and Philosophy (Elphinstone College). He joined the 'Department of Speech Communication', University of Illinois in 1989  and then the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
- Gaonkar, Dilip Parameshwar (1984). Aspects of sophistic pedagogy. University of Pittsburgh.
- Nelson, Cary; Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar (1996). Disciplinarity and dissent in cultural studies. Routledge. ISBN 0-415-91372-1.
- Gaonkar, Dilip Parameshwar (2001). Alternative modernities. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-2714-7.
- Gaonkar, Dilip Parameshwar; Benjamin Lee (2002). New imaginaries. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-6472-7.
- Povinelli, Elizabeth A.; Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar (2003). Technologies of public persuasion: an accidental issue. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-6585-5.
- Gaonkar, Dilip Parameshwar (2007). Cultures of Democracy. Duke University Press. ISBN 0-8223-6672-X.
- Simons, Herbert W. (1990). "14. Rhetoric and Its Double: Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar". The Rhetorical turn: invention and persuasion in the conduct of inquiry. University of Chicago Press. pp. 341–360. ISBN 0-226-75902-4.
- Leff, Michael C.; Fred J. Kauffeld (1995). "Epilogue: THE ENIGMA OF ARRIVAL: DILIP PARAMESHWAR GAONKAR". Texts in Context: Critical Dialogues on Significant Episodes in American Political Rhetoric. Routledge. pp. 255–257. ISBN 0-9611800-4-8.
- Musick, David (1995). "CLOSE READINGS OF THE THIRD KIND: Dilip Parameshwar Gaonkar". An introduction to the sociology of juvenile delinquency. SUNY Press. pp. 330–333. ISBN 0-7914-2352-2.
- Gross, Alan G.; William M. Keith (1997). "1. Idea of Rhetoric: Dilip P. Gaonkar". Rhetorical hermeneutics: invention and interpretation in the age of science. SUNY Press. pp. 25–28. ISBN 0-7914-3109-6.
- Jost, Walter; Wendy Olmsted (2004). "Introduction: Contingency and Probability: Dilip Parmeshwar Gaonkar". A companion to rhetoric and rhetorical criticism. Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 5–20. ISBN 1-4051-0112-1.