|Stable release||v13 / 2012|
|Operating system||Mac OS X ; Microsoft Windows ; iOS ; Linux (requires compilation)|
Dim3, also known as Dimension 3, is a freeware open-source 3D game engine created by Brian Barnes. It has been chosen as a staff pick for OS X development software by Apple. and featured as one of their "hot game building tools." dim3 has an entry in DevMaster's 3D engines database.
dim3 includes four applications: Engine, Editor, Animator, and Setup.
The Engine is the deployment application that runs games created in dim3. The games (or "projects") are cross-platform and only require the proper engine to run on the proper platform. The engine runs on Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, iOS, and can be compiled on Linux. All versions can play network games with each other.
The Animator is used to add loop animations and effects to models used with dim3. The Animator is used to add bones, setup poses for the bones, and to combine those poses into animations. The Animator uses a skeletal animation system. This makes character movement simplistic yet very realistic.
Setup is a utility that is used to change all other settings in the project, for example, the HUD, network, or particle settings.
A data folder, representing the game, contains all the maps, models, artwork, sounds, and scripts required to create a game in dim3. Each game is self-contained in up to 3 data folders, though only one is actually needed. All non-editor data is in standard formats: PNG, WAV, and mp3. A demonstration "game" is added to dim3, though it is not really a game in itself but shows most of the engine's capabilities.
- Klink! Software. "OS Downloads".
- "Google Code".
- Satterthwaite, Mark (2004-09-24). "Dim3: The making of a game engine". InsideMacGames. Retrieved 2007-11-06. "[Brian] has endeavored to make Dim3 as versatile and flexible as possible while still remaining true to his other fundamental principle: it has to be free to use."
- Apple (2007-07-26). "dim3 Download". Archived from the original on 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- Cook, Brad (2007-07-26). "Game Building Tools". Inside Mac Games. Archived from the original on 2007-10-16. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- DevMaster (2007-07-26). "dim3". DevMaster. Retrieved 2007-11-08.