Shops in Dimboola
|LGA(s)||Shire of Hindmarsh|
Dimboola is a town located in Shire of Hindmarsh in the Wimmera region of Western Victoria, Australia, 334 kilometres north-west of Melbourne. Situated on the Wimmera River in the State of Victoria, the town of Dimboola was previously known as 'Nine Creeks'. Following a survey conducted in late 1862 by contractor Frederick Smith of Ararat, a plan for a township in the County of Dimboola was proposed. It was first recognised as being a township when mentioned in the April 1863 edition of the 'Government Gazette". At the 2011 census Dimboola had a population of 1,662.
Before the arrival of white people into the district, the Aborigines called the area Watchegatcheca which had the meaning 'Wattle Tree and White Cockatoos'. The name 'Dimboola' has generally been accepted to have come from the Ceylonese "dimbula" meaning 'Land of Figs'. The name came from the District Surveyor of the time John George Winchester Wilmot, who had previously lived in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). The relationship of the name to this area is suggested to have come from 'Upper Regions Station' where an abundance of fruit trees grew in the garden, many of which were figs.
The Post Office opened on 3 April 1863, but was known as Nine Creeks until 1869.
Paintings of Dimboola landscapes by noted Australian painter Sidney Nolan, who was stationed in the area while on army duty in World War II, can be found in the National Gallery of Victoria. Dimboola is also the setting of the play (and subsequent film) Dimboola by Jack Hibberd.
Distinguished Australian-British physicist Richard Dalitz was born in Dimboola.
The Dimboola Show is held on the third Thursday in Oct and coincides with Caulfield Cup Day.
There is a range of education options available in Dimboola. There is one kindergarten, two primary schools and one secondary college.
Golfers play at the Dimboola Golf Club on Riverside.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Dimboola (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2013-11-28.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- PTV, PTV Coach Services - Timetables, retrieved 2014-07-19
- Great Southern Rail, The Overland, retrieved 2014-07-19
- Full Points Footy, Dimboola.htm Dimboola, retrieved 2008-07-25
- Golf Select, Dimboola, retrieved 2009-05-11
Media related to Dimboola, Victoria at Wikimedia Commons
- Dimboola and District Historical Society
- Dimboola Memorial Secondary College Homepage
- Information about Dimboola for Visitors