Map of the Dinagat Islands
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Founded||December 2, 2006|
|• Governor||Glenda Ecleo (Nacionalista)|
|• Vice Governor||Benglen Ecleo (Nacionalista)|
|• Total||1,036.34 km2 (400.13 sq mi)|
|Area rank||74th out of 80|
|• Rank||76th out of 80|
|• Density||120/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||62nd out of 80|
|• Independent cities||0|
|• Component cities||0|
|• Districts||Lone district of Dinagat Islands|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|ZIP code||8411 - 8415; 8426, 8427|
|Spoken languages||Cebuano, Surigaonon, Tagalog, English|
The Dinagat Islands (Tagalog: Kapuluang Dinagat) (PSGC: 168500000; ISO: PH-DIN) is a group of islands constituting a province in the Philippines, located on the south side of Leyte Gulf. The island of Leyte is to its west, across Surigao Strait, and Mindanao is to its south. Its main island, Dinagat, is about 60 kilometres (37 mi) from north to south.
Dinagat Islands had been a part of the First District of Surigao del Norte Province until becoming a province on its own on December 2, 2006 with the approval of Republic Act No. 9355, the Charter of the Province of Dinagat Islands, in a plebiscite.
On February 11, 2010, the Supreme Court of the Philippines declared the creation of Dinagat Islands Province null and void on grounds of failure to meet land area and population requirements for the creation of local government units. Dinagat Islands then reverted to Surigao del Norte Province. On March 30, 2011, however, the Supreme Court reversed its ruling from the previous year, and upheld the constitutionality of RA 9355 and the creation of Dinagat Islands as a province.
Dinagat Islands Province is divided into six municipalities including the capital:
|Population census of Dinagat Islands|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "List of Provinces". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates for The Philippines and Its Regions, Provinces, and Highly Urbanized Cities". 2010 Census and Housing Population. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Dinagat Islands province back to being a town". Inquirer.net.[dead link]
- "SC says Dinagat Islands no longer a province". ABS-CBN News.
- http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/news/courtnews%20flash/2010/02/02111002.php[dead link]
- "G.R. No. 180050". Philippine Government Supreme Court Judiciary. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- "Dinagat Islands a province again as SC reverses itself". GMA News Online. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- "Province: Dinagat Islands". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Official Website of the Province of the Dinagat Islands
- Charter of the Province of Dinagat Islands (Republic Act No. 9355)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dinagat Islands.|
|Southern Leyte / Surigao Strait||Philippine Sea|
Surigao del Norte