Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
|Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives|
|Genre||Food reality television|
|Presented by||Guy Fieri|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||19|
|No. of episodes||233|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Citizen Pictures|
|Original channel||Food Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||April 23, 2007– present|
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is an American food reality television television series that premiered on April 23, 2007, on the Food Network. It is hosted by Guy Fieri. The show originally began as a one-off special that aired on November 6, 2006. The show features a "road trip" concept, similar to Road Tasted, Giada's Weekend Getaways and $40 a Day. Fieri travels around North America looking at various diners, drive-in restaurants, and dive bars.
Each episode generally has a unifying theme (such as burgers or comfort food) with the host visiting multiple restaurants to sample the food that corresponds to this theme. The program focuses on small independent eateries featuring traditional American-style, sometimes Canadian, cuisine (such as barbecue, smoked meat, hamburgers, deep fried food, pizza, steak, and bacon-and-egg breakfast), regional styles, or ethnic specialties. Most often, the restaurants that the show chooses use fresh ingredients, home-style recipes, and gourmet culinary approaches to what is usually considered non-gourmet food. The host interacts with both the customers, to get their opinion on the food, and with the kitchen staff, who demonstrate how to prepare one or more of the dishes.
The show has had various stars appear in the kitchen alongside Guy, such as Robert Irvine, Emeril Lagasse, Geoffrey Zakarian, Matthew McConaughey, Joe Theismann, Kid Rock, Andrew Zimmern, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler and Kevin James.
In May 2011, the Plymouth, Minnesota-based producer of the show filed lawsuit against the Food Network. The lawsuit alleges that the network failed to pay required production costs, and failed to make the show's host, Guy Fieri, available for taping.
- "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Episodes". TV Guide. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "World chefs - Fieri finds history is made in diners". Reuters. March 27, 2007. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives producer says Food Network wants to dash " Twin Cities Business Journal; May 16, 2011
- Satran, Joe (August 18, 2011). "Food Network's Legal Battle With Producer Of Guy Fieri's 'Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives' Comes To End". The Huffington Post. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Parker, Penny (October 7, 2011). "Parker: Food Network show switches to Denver production company". The Denver Post. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- Official website
- Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives at the Internet Movie Database
- Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives at TV.com