Diocese of Gloucester
|Diocese of Gloucester|
|Bishop||Bishop of Gloucester (vacant; acting bishop: the Bishop of Tewkesbury; bishop-designate: Rachel Treweek)|
|Suffragan||Martyn Snow, acting bishop and Bishop of Tewkesbury|
|Archdeacons||Robert Springett, Archdeacon of Cheltenham
Jackie Searle, Archdeacon of Gloucester
The Diocese of Gloucester is a Church of England diocese based in Gloucester, covering the non-metropolitan county of Gloucestershire. The cathedral is Gloucester Cathedral and the bishop is the Bishop of Gloucester. It is part of the Province of Canterbury.
The diocese was founded during the English Reformation in 1541 from part of the Diocese of Hereford and the Diocese of Worcester. In 1542 the Diocese of Bristol was created to cover Bristol, but on 5 October 1836 it was merged back with Gloucester diocese as the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; Bristol became an independent diocese again on 9 July 1897.
The diocese has twinning links with the dioceses of Dornakal and Karnataka Central in the Church of South India, Västerås in Sweden, El Camino Real in California, USA, and Western Tanganyika in Tanzania. It is currently supporting the work of the Diocese of Western Tanganyika to build a new high school.
The diocese is divided into two archdeaconries, Cheltenham, headed by the Archdeacon of Cheltenham, Robert Springett, and Gloucester, headed by the Archdeacon of Gloucester, Jackie Searle. The Archdeaconry of Cheltenham consists of the deaneries of Cheltenham, Cirencester, North Cotswolds, & Tewkesbury and Winchcombe, and the Archdeaconry of Gloucester consists of the deaneries of Forest, Gloucester City, Severn Vale, Stroud, & Wotton.
The diocesan Bishop of Gloucester is assisted by the Bishop suffragan of Tewkesbury, Martyn Snow (who is also currently the acting bishop and whose see was created in 1938.) The provincial episcopal visitor (for parishes in this diocese – among twelve others in the western part of the Province of Canterbury – who reject the ministry of priests who are women, since 1994) is Jonathan Goodall, Bishop suffragan of Ebbsfleet, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
There are seven former bishops licensed as honorary assistant bishops in the diocese:
- 1994–present: John Neale, former Secretary of the Partnership for World Mission and former Area Bishop of Ramsbury lives in Corsham, Wilts (in the neighbouring Diocese of Bristol, where he is also licensed.)
- 2003–present: Former Bishop suffragan of Swindon Peter Firth, lives in Winchcombe and is also licensed in the Diocese of Bristol.
- 2005–present: Patrick Harris, retired Bishop of Southwell, lives in Cheltenham and is also licensed in the Diocese in Europe.
- 2010–present: Retired former Bishop suffragan of Warrington David Jennings lives in Northleach and is also licensed in the Diocese of Oxford.
- 2013–present: Bob Evens, retired former Bishop suffragan of Crediton, lives in Charlton Kings.
- 2014–present: Anthony Priddis, retired Bishop of Hereford, lives in Bridstow in Hereford diocese.
- 2014–present: Retired Bishop of Guildford Christopher Hill lives in Ruardean.
- Diocese of Gloucester – Letter from the Bishop of Tewkesbury (Accessed 7 August 2014)
- Diocese of Gloucester — The Bishop of Gloucester Designate (Accessed 26 March 2015)
- Gloucester Diocese – New Bishop of Tewkesbury (Accessed 2 August 2013)
- The London Gazette: . 7 October 1836. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 9 July 1897. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "Neale JRG". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 26 April 2014. (Subscription required)
- Firth, Rt Rev. Peter James. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Harris, Rt Rev. Patrick Burnet. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Jennings, Rt Rev. David Willfred Michael. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Evens, Rt Rev. Robert John Scott. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Priddis AM". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 26 April 2014. (Subscription required)
- "Hill CJ". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 26 April 2014. (Subscription required)