7 May 1979 |
Dionysis Boukouvalas (born 7 May 1979) is a Greek composer. He is active mainly in concert music, but recently in popular music too, having set to music poetry by C.P. Cavafy and others.
He holds the diplomas of Harmony, Counterpoint and Fugue (all with mention "A") and a diploma from the Department of Musical Studies of the University of Athens (witn mention "A"). On 2007 he completed his Master’s course at the university "Paris 8", under the supervision of Anne Sedes (dealing with the element of chance in music), having followed the composition atelier of the Spanish composer José Manuel López López. He is a member of the Greek Composers Union.
His works include music for eight plays, including William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Michael Ende's Momo, for the short film pianno, and for literary tributes (Tribute to the French existential philosophers, 2014).
Recent premieres of his works include  Winter concords, for ensemble, in collaboration with Rob Haskins, premiered in New Hampshire, USA, Sunbeams, for clarinet, viola and piano, premiered in Druskininkai, Lithuania  Scherzo, for mandolin ensemble, premiered in Zakynthos, Greece, Music for a non-existent film, for 2 pianos, 8 hands, premiered in Vilnius, Lithuania and Etude, premiered by the dissonArt ensemble in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Etude (2013), for the dissonArt ensemble.
- Scherzo (2012), for mandolin ensemble/orchestra.
- Sunbeams (2012), for clarinet in B, viola and piano.
- Notturno (2012), Ugo Foscolo song for voice and piano.
- Rejouissez-vous! (2006), for four part female chorus and organ, on poetry of Guillaume Apollinaire, Arthur Rimbaud and Aragon.
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (2005), stage music for the William Shakespeare play.
- An invisible city 2 (2005), for 12 performers.
- Fungi from Yuggoth (2004–08), H.P. Lovecraft 4 songs for baritone and piano.
- Momo (2004), stage music for the Michael Ende play.
- Chemins fermés (2003), for 4 violins, cello and double-bass.
- Blue pearl (2003), Andreas Embirikos song for baritone and piano.
- Two pieces for string quartet (2002–2003).
- Preludes, I (2001), T.S. Eliot song for baritone and piano.
- To Zante (2001), Edgar Allan Poe song for soprano and piano.
- Fantasy on a theme by Steve Reich (1999), for piano, six hands, in collaboration with Steve Reich.
- Composer's profile at the Greek Composers' Union website
- imdb page
- The film at YouTube. Youtube.com (17 December 2012).
- Mention of the transcription in the website of the Benaki museum. Benaki.gr (19 June 2011).
- A review of the DVD-A. Musicweb-international.com.
- Mention of the work in Rob Haskins cv. (PDF)
- Program of the concert at which the piece was premiered. (PDF)
- Program of the concert. Mic.lt.
- concert program
- CD presentation on the composer's website. Boukouvalas.weebly.com.
- Announcement of a concert promoting the CD. Whatsup-corfu.com (25 August 2011).