|Gravity Falls character|
|First appearance||"Tourist Trapped"|
|Created by||Alex Hirsch|
|Voiced by||Jason Ritter|
|Occupation||Part-time employee at the Mystery Shack.|
|Family||Mabel Pines (twin sister)|
|Relatives||Stan Pines (great uncle)|
"Dipper" Pines is a fictional character and the main protagonist of the Disney XD animated series Gravity Falls. The character is voiced by Jason Ritter, and designed by and loosely based on the series creator, Alex Hirsch. The character first appeared on the unreleased, unnamed pilot created by Hirsch with which he pitched the show; he later appeared on the first episode "Tourist Trapped". Dipper, together with his twin sister Mabel Pines and great uncle Stan Pines, stars in every episode of the show. Dipper is the star of the Gravity Falls series of shorts titled "Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained" and also appears in the "Mabel's Guide to Life" shorts, usually to correct Mabel's obviously made up information.
Dipper is a 12-year-old boy who, along with his twin sister Mabel, is sent to spend his summer vacation in his great uncle's tourist trap, "The Mystery Shack". He endeavors to uncover the secrets of the fictional town of Gravity Falls, OR, and to find explanations for assorted strange situations. He is helped by his energetic and boundlessly cheerful twin Mabel and the Shack's handyman Soos. They often end up dealing with or encountering various supernatural or legendary creatures, like gnomes, cryptids, demons, and minotaurs. Dipper tackles these mysteries with the aid of a journal—a large, red-bound book with a gold hand and number "3" on the front cover—that he found in the forest. This journal describes many of the supernatural occurrences of Gravity Falls. He recently discovered that there was a wealth of knowledge in the journal that is only visible under black light.
Dipper is uncommonly brave and determined for a pre-teen, and struggles with growing up. He is singularly devoted to solving the mysteries of Gravity Falls that he has discovered, which often puts him at odds with his Grunkle Stan.
The adventures of Dipper and his sister are inspired by the childhood of series creator Alex Hirsch and his own twin sister, Ariel Hirsch. As a character, Dipper has been critically well received. He appears in various Gravity Falls merchandise, such as on clothing and in video games.
Role in Gravity Falls
Dipper Pines is a curious, clever and inventive boy from Piedmont, California, forced to spending his summer together with his great uncle Stan in the fictional town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. He is accompanied by his twin sister Mabel Pines. He is portrayed as smart, wise, gentle, conventional, and very logical, showing knowledge in various areas like history, cryptography, puzzle-solving. etc.
Dipper wears a trademark white and blue hat with a symbol of a blue pine tree on the front, which he got from the Shack's gift shop. He also wears a navy blue vest, orange T-shirt, gray shorts, black sneakers, and a wristwatch. Dipper gets his nickname from a birth mark on his forehead in the form of the Big Dipper, which he hides with his bangs. His real name has not yet been revealed.
Dipper has a crush on local girl and Mystery Shack employee Wendy Corduroy, who is three years older than him. He usually attempts to impress her and frequently finds himself in sticky situations as a result. In the episode "Into the Bunker", Wendy finally learns Dipper's crush on her, although she also reveals that she always suspected it. Dipper also is extremely protective of his sister Mabel, doing everything to protect or save her from trouble. He first arrives in Gravity Falls upset with going to a small, boring town, with his twin sister Mabel for the summer, but because of interest in mysteries and lust for adventure he starts to adjust to life in town and tries to solve mysteries, with his twin sister coming along for the journey. Dipper is shown as a very organized child, always working on a well thought out plan.
- Springer, Aaron (August 10, 2012). "Double Dipper". Gravity Falls. Season 01. Episode 07. Disney Channel.
- "Interview: Alex Hirsch Returns To His Weird, Monster-Filled Childhood In Disney's 'Gravity Falls'". MTV Geek. June 15, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Creator Alex Hirsch Talks GRAVITY FALLS, How He Ended Up Making a Show for the Disney Channel, His Love for TV Animation and More". Collider.COM. July 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Comedy Showrunners Week: Alex Hirsch on the real in the unreal of Gravity Falls". A.V. Club. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Hinckley, David (June 29, 2012). "New animated Disney series 'Gravity Falls' rises to an endearing level of tween cool". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Top and Upcoming iOS Apps to Play: 'Plants vs. Zombies 2,' 'Gravity Falls,' New Game from Candy Crush Saga Dev and More". International Business Times. August 16, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Watch My Show: Gravity Falls' Alex Hirsch Answers Our Showrunner Survey". TV Guide. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "An Undercurrent of Darkness, Even at Disney, By BROOKS BARNES". The New York Times. August 17, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "ALEX HIRSCH ON ‘GRAVITY FALLS,’ MABEL’S SWEATER COLLECTION AND TV’S FEAR OF SINCERITY, By Chris Sims". Comics Alliance. August 24, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Aoshima, John (June 15, 2012). "Tourist Trapped". Gravity Falls. Season 01. Episode 01. Disney Channel.