|Mission duration||15 years|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||December 29, 2009, 00:22:00UTC|
|Launch site||Baikonur 200/39|
|Longitude||76° West (testing)
103.0° West (current)
|Perigee||35,790 kilometers (22,240 mi)|
|Apogee||35,794 kilometers (22,241 mi)|
|Epoch||September 5, 2014, 08:07:35 UTC|
DirecTV-12, also known as D12, is a Boeing model 702 satellite built by the Boeing Satellite Development Center. It was launched on December 29, 2009 and became operational on May 19, 2010. It is used by DirecTV to provide additional high definition channels and Video on demand content, as well as 3DTV channels and content.
D12 was launched successfully by International Launch Services on December 29, 2009 at 6:22 AM Kahzakstan time (00:22 UTC)  from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan aboard an Enhanced Proton Breeze-M rocket. The launch was televised publicly live on DirecTV channel 577, on C-Band satellite, and online at ILS's website.
DirecTV-12 reached 76° W on February 11, 2010 and began testing 2 days later. After 3 weeks of scheduled testing, RB-2A began being tested. On April 23, D12 was granted a Special Temporary Authority to continue testing at 76° W for 30 more days. Testing was completed in late April.
Drift to final position
On March 31, 2010 DirecTV filed a Special Temporary Authority for permission to drift to its final position at 103° W. It was granted on April 23. It reached its final position on May 11 and began operations on May 13. Boeing handed the satellite over to DirecTV on May 17.
Broadcasting to customers
D12 increased DirecTV's national HD channel capacity to over 200 channels and expanded its availability of local channels in HD. DirecTV has used the new satellite to add more HD channels, expand its pay-per-view movie service "DirecTV Cinema" and on demand titles. It also carries 3DTV channels. DirecTV began adding new HD channels on May 19 and continued June 23 and later in the summer. DirecTV added the first 3D channel to D12, ESPN 3D, on June 11, and new channels n3D and a pay-per-view 3D movie channel on July 1. A few more HD channels were added onto it in the fall of 2010, the winter of 2010-11, and the spring and summer of 2011; and more in 2012.
- McDowell, Jonathan. "Launch Log". Jonathan's Space Page. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "DIRECTV 12 Satellite details 2009-075A NORAD 36131". N2YO. September 5, 2014. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- "The Boeing — Baikonur Connection For DIRECTV 12". Satnews Daily. December 2, 2009.
- Russia prepares for December launch of DirecTV satellite
- DIRECTV HD and Movie Choices to Get a Lift With Successful Satellite Launch DIRECTV 12 Boosts Satellite Fleet's Capacity to More Than 200 HD Channels; Begins Operation First Half of Next Year DirecTV Press Release December 29, 2009
- ILS Official Site - Media Advisory
- FCC STA for testing at 76 W April 23
- Application for drift to 103 W March 31, 2010
- FCC STA for Drift April 23
- DirecTV notice to FCC of commencement of operations of D12
- Boeing Completes On-Orbit of DirecTV 12 Satellite Boeing.com May 17, 2010
- DirecTV Using A Window Of Opportunity Investors.com July 1, 2010