Directorate-General for Health and Consumers
This article is part of a series on the
The Directorate-General for Health and Consumers is a Directorate-General of the European Commission (formerly known as the Directorate-General for Health and Consumer Protection and often abbreviated as SANCO or DG-SANCO for the French words Santé [Health] & Consommateurs [Consumers].) The Health & Consumers DG is responsible for the implementation of European Union laws on the safety of food and other products, on consumers' rights and on the protection of people's health. In 2006, DG Sanco launched the public Health-EU portal to provide European citizens with easy access to comprehensive information on Public Health initiatives and programmes at EU level.
DG-SANCO manages three independent Scientific Committees:
- The Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS)
- The Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks (SCHER)
- The Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR)
These Scientific Committees provide the European Commission with the scientific advice on non-food products that it needs when preparing policy and proposals relating to consumer safety, public health and the environment. The Committees also draw the Commission's attention to the new or emerging problems which may pose an actual or potential threat.
In March 2006, the Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (the predecessor to the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety), issued an Opinion on Peru Balsam, also known as Balsam of Peru. It confirmed that crude Peru Balsam should not be used as a fragrance ingredient, because of a wide variety of test results on its sensitizing potential, but that extracts and distillates can be used up to a maximum level of 0.4% in products.
Three agencies of the European Union are linked to DG-SANCO: the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), which the European Commission consults for questions concerning the safety of food products, the Community Plant Variety Office (CPVO), which administers a system of plant variety rights, and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), which helps the European Union combat communicable diseases and other serious health threats.
Health-EU Portal is an official web portal of the Health and Consumers Directorate-General that facilities the access of public-related health information to European Union citizens, launched in 2006. The site contains material on 47 health-related subjects and is in the 22 official languages of the EU. The Health-EU portal complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
- Global Health Security Initiative (GHSI)
- European Public Health Alliance (EHPA)
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
- Health Threat Unit
- European Commission, Health and Consumer Protection Directorate-General, Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (March 28, 2006). "Opinion on Peru Balsam". European Commission. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- language policy
- HON seal
- Health & Consumers DG
- The Scientific Committees of DG-SANCO
- Health-EU Portal the official public health portal of the European Union
|This article about the European Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|