Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (European Commission)
This article is part of a series on the
The Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, informally DG Research and Innovation, is a Directorate-General of the European Commission, located in Brussels, and responsible for, notably, the European Union's research policy and coordination of research activities. It is headed by Commissioner Máire Geoghegan-Quinn and Director-General Robert-Jan Smits.
- to develop the European Union’s policy in the field of research and technological development and thereby contribute to the international cooperation of European industry;
- to coordinate European research activities with those carried out at the level of the Member States;
- to support the Union’s policies in other fields such as environment, health, energy, regional development, etc.;
- to promote a better understanding of the role of science in modern societies and stimulate a public debate about research-related issues at European level.
One of the instruments used for the implementation of this policy is the multi-annual Framework Programmes for Research and Technological Development (FP RTD) which helps to organise and financially support cooperation between high schools, research centres, and industries - including small and medium sized enterprises (SME).
- Commissioner: Máire Geoghegan-Quinn
- Director General: Robert-Jan Smits
- Directorate A - Inter-institutional and legal matters – Framework programme
- Directorate B - European Research Area: research programmes and capacity
- Directorate C - European Research Area: Knowledge-based economy
- Directorate D - International cooperation
- Directorate E - Biotechnologies, Agriculture, Food
- Directorate F - Health
- Directorate G - Industrial technologies
- Directorate H - Transport
- Directorate I - Environment
- Directorate J - Energy (EURATOM)
- Directorate K - Energy
- Directorate L - Science, economy and society
- Directorate R - Resources
- Directorate S - Implementation of the 'Ideas' programme
- Directorate T - Implementation of activities to outsource
In carrying out the various tasks the Directorate General works closely with other Commission departments such as the Joint Research Centre, which also falls under the responsibility of Commissioner Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, the Directorates General for the Information Society, Energy and Transport, the Environment, Enterprise, and others.
- Science and technology in Europe
- EU Directorate General Joint Research Centre
- Lisbon Strategy
- Sixth Framework Programme
- European Charter for Researchers
- European Research Council (ERC)
- European Institute of Technology (EIT)
- European Research Advisory Board (EURAB)
- Directorate-General for Education and Culture
- "Organisation". Directorate-General for Research. Retrieved 14 May 2007. "Postal address – Directorate-General for Research, European Commission, B-1049 Brussels" (The postal code specifically designates the European Commission.)
- The European Commission - Research Directorate-General. Ec.europa.eu. Retrieved on 2013-09-05.
|This article about the European Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|