Dirty Little Rabbits
|Dirty Little Rabbits|
|Origin||Johnston, Iowa, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, psychedelic rock|
|Associated acts||Slipknot, To My Surprise|
|Past members||Ty Fyhrie|
Dirty Little Rabbits is an American alternative rock band formed in 2007 in Johnston, Iowa. They are often referred to as a side project of Shawn Crahan, a member/founder of heavy metal band Slipknot.
In 2007 fellow Slipknot band member Sid Wilson introduced Shawn Crahan to Michael Pfaff, along with a few other musicians they had a jam session together. Crahan himself said that during the session he could only focus on Pfaff and how they both played together, explaining that; "it was the way he was throwing his shapes, to my shapes." Shortly after meeting with Pfaff, Crahan introduced guitarist Ty Fyhrie to the project. Crahan had previously worked with Fyhrie on a band he was a part of in Denver, but recruited him for Dirty Little Rabbits. Around the same time, Pfaff brought bassist Jeff Karnowski in to the band. After this they realized that they would need a vocalist, after going through a couple of other singers Crahan recruited Stella Katsoudas who was living in Los Angeles. Crahan and Katsoudas had known each other for "a long, long time," and met up "just as friends" but Crahan revealed that he wanted her to be in the band.
After writing together and developing the band they began performing shows in the midwest of the United States. On August 15, 2007 they released their debut EP, Breeding independently. Following this, through August and September they supported Stone Sour on a tour of the United States. Dirty Little Rabbits continued to tour in 2008, with their own shows through February and May and in support of Mindless Self Indulgence in June. Through July and August drummer Crahan was touring with Slipknot as part of the Mayhem Festival and as a result Dirty Little Rabbits temporarily went on hiatus. After signing with The End Records, Dirty Little Rabbits began working on an album at Sound Farm Studio in September while Crahan's other band Slipknot took a break from touring. They released their second EP; Simon on January 27, 2009, and they planned to release a full-length album in April.
On July 31, 2009 Dirty Little Rabbits were scheduled to perform their first show outside of the US with Lacuna Coil in Ireland, and then the United Kingdom. As well as appearing at the Sonisphere Festival in August, however the band canceled both appearances due to exhaustion. Drummer Crahan explained: "after weeks of going all over the world and playing some of the biggest shows of my career [(with his other band Slipknot)], and now being in the home stretch on completing the Dirty Little Rabbits debut album, I'm just mentally and physically drained."
They will release their self-titled debut album on July 6 via The End Records (the digital single will be released on May 11).
In 2010 Ryan Martin joined the band replacing Ty Fyhrie as guitarist.
Dirty Little Rabbits' musical style is considerably different to Crahan's most notable band Slipknot. Crahan explained in an interview in 2008 that he is an "alternative person in art and music" and that he didn't grow up obsessed with metal. He went on to explain that other members of Slipknot are obsessed with metal and that he "went with it" because it was different to him and he could introduce something different to them. He describes Dirty Little Rabbits as the band he's been waiting his whole life for. He made a particular point about the fact that they have a female singer and that he's always wanted to be in a band with a female singer because he wants to "represent the whole world, male and female."
- Stella Katsoudas – vocals (2007–present)
- Ryan Martin – guitars (2010–present)
- Jeff Karnowski – bass (2007–present)
- Shawn Crahan – drums (2007–present)
- Michael Pfaff – organs, keyboards (2007–present)
- Former members
- Ty Fyhrie – guitars (2007–2010)
- Studio albums
- Dirty Little Rabbits (2010)
- "Exclusive Podcast: Part 2 - Slipknot Percussionist Shawn Crahan Beats Himself, Takes Pictures For Art". MTV. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- RockIowa (2008-07-13). "Rock Iowa live at 80/35 - Dirty Little Rabbits Interview". YouTube. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- JohnB. "Interview with M. Shawn Crahan and Stella Katsoudas of Dirty Little Rabbits". Midwest Excess. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Slipknot Percussionist's Dirty Little Rabbits To Support Stone Sour". Blabbermouth.net. 2007-07-07. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Slipknot Percussionist's Dirty Little Rabbits Schedules Live Appearances". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-01-29. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Slipknot Percussionist's Dirty Little Rabbits Announce Dates With Mindless Self Indulgence". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-05-20. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Scott (2009-01-07). "Dirty Little Rabbits EP Pushed Back A Week". MetalMartyr. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Slipknot Percussionist's Dirty Little Rabbits Sign With The End Records". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-10-14. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Shawn Crahan: "Don't miss being part of history!"". Kerrang!. 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Slipknot men to debut new bands at Sonisphere festival". NME. 2009-05-05. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Dirty Little Rabbits cancel UK shows". Kerrang!. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- "Revenant Media". Revenant Media. Retrieved 2012-09-06.