Discovery (Electric Light Orchestra album)
|Studio album by Electric Light Orchestra|
|Released||31 May 1979 (UK)
June 1979 (US)
12 June 2001 (reissue)
Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany
|Genre||Symphonic rock, pop rock, disco|
|Electric Light Orchestra chronology|
Discovery was the band's first number 1 album in the UK, entering the chart at that position and staying there for five weeks. The album contained five hit songs in "Shine a Little Love", "Don't Bring Me Down", "Last Train to London", "Confusion" and "The Diary of Horace Wimp", many of which were heavily influenced by disco (in fact, Richard Tandy came up with its well known nickname, Disco Very). "Don't Bring Me Down" would become one of their only two top three hits in the UK throughout their career ("Xanadú" will be number One in 1980), and also their highest-charting US single at number 4. "The Diary of Horace Wimp" was also a hit single in the UK, not patterned after the disco sound; instead it was closer in its Beatlesque style to the band's earlier hit "Mr. Blue Sky". The album itself was the first ever to generate four top-ten singles (one of which was a Double A-side) from a single LP in the UK and was eventually certified 2x platinum by the RIAA in 1997.
Discovery is notable in that it was the first ELO album not to feature their resident string trio of Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell and Melvyn Gale, although they did make an appearance on the Discovery music videos that were created as a substitute for a live concert tour. Shortly afterwards, leader Jeff Lynne deemed the string section superfluous to his requirements and he decided to fire them all (although he did rehire Kaminski for the Time Tour in 1981-82, a performer on the 1983 album Secret Messages, and the Balance of Power tour in 1986).
Discovery was remastered as part of the Epic/Legacy remaster series in 2001; among the included bonus tracks was a cover of a Del Shannon classic, "Little Town Flirt", which was started during sessions for the album but never finished until the year the album was reissued.
- Side one
- "Shine a Little Love" – 4:43
- "Confusion" – 3:42
- "Need Her Love" – 5:11
- "The Diary of Horace Wimp" – 4:17
- Side two
- "Last Train to London" – 4:32
- "Midnight Blue" – 4:19
- "On the Run" – 3:55
- "Wishing" – 4:13
- "Don't Bring Me Down" – 4:02
- Bonus tracks on the 2001 edition
- "On the Run" (Home Demo) – 1:01
- "Second Time Around" (Home Demo) – 0:43
- "Little Town Flirt" – 2:53
- Bonus tracks were previously unreleased. Track 12 was started 1979, finished 2001. Engineered by Mack and Ryan Ulyate.
- Orchestra and choral arrangements - Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Louis Clark.
- Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark.
- Jeff Lynne – vocals, guitar, piano, synthesizer, producer
- Bev Bevan – drums, percussion
- Richard Tandy – piano, synthesiser, electric piano, clavinet
- Kelly Groucutt – bass guitar, vocals
- Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark
- Additional personnel
- Mack – engineer
- Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Louis Clark – Orchestra and choral arrangements
- Al Quaglieri – Reissue Producer (2001)
Promotional movie line-up
- Jeff Lynne – vocals, guitar
- Bev Bevan – drums
- Richard Tandy – keyboards
- Kelly Groucutt – bass guitar, vocals
- Mik Kaminski – violin
- Hugh McDowell – cello
- Melvyn Gale – cello
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||300,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Voulez-Vous by ABBA
|Norwegian VG-lista number-one album
25 – 36 / 1979
Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan
|UK Albums Chart number one album
16 June – 20 July 1979
Replicas by Tubeway Army
Rickie Lee Jones by Rickie Lee Jones
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
23 July - 5 August 1979
13 August - 2 September 1979
17–23 September 1979
The Very Best of Leo Sayer
by Leo Sayer
- Allmusic review
- Starr, Red. "Albums". Smash Hits (June 14–27 1979): 25.
- "Electric Light Orchestra". Offfical Charts Company. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Wild, David. "The Story of a Rock and Roll Band and the Pop Genius Who Dared to Go Baroque." Flashback.
- The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, February 2000
- The Bob & Tom Show, January 2000
- "Canadian album certifications – Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery". Music Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "French album certifications – Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Les Albums Or". infodisc.fr. SNEP. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Electric Light Orchestra; 'Discovery')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "Dutch album certifications – Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "British album certifications – Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2012-02-24. Enter Discovery in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2012-02-24. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "austriancharts.at Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-24
- "dutchcharts.nl Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP). dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste : Electric Light Orchestra". infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1978" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "charts.org.nz Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "norwegiancharts.com Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "swedishcharts.com Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP). Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Chart Stats - Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (PHP). UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "allmusic ((( Discovery > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Album Search: Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery" (ASP) (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Austriancharts.st - Jahreshitparade 1979" (ASP) (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1979". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Les Albums (CD) de 1979 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Top Pop Albums of 1979". billboard.biz. 1979-12-31. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- The Electric Light Orchestra Story (1980) ISBN 0-907394-00-0