Discovery Networks UK
|Cable television, Digital television|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|Amsterdam, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Oslo, Paris, Stockholm and Warsaw|
Discovery Networks UK was a branch of Discovery Networks responsible for overseeing Discovery Networks Europe's channels in the United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland. As of autumn 2011, Discovery Networks UK is now operated by Discovery Networks Western Europe.
Discovery Networks UK started out with the launch of the Discovery Channel in Europe in 1989 and was for a long time a part of Discovery Networks Europe (DNE). In early 2007, DNE was split into two separate branches, Discovery Networks UK and Discovery Network EMEA, both headquartered in London. As of 2011 Discovery Networks Europe has merged its operations in the UK, Nordic region and other parts of Western Europe to form Discovery Networks Western Europe.
In the UK the Discovery Channel has been the number one factual channel throughout its 20 year history. It has a 47 percent share of the PAYTV factual market (Source BARB/TechEdge).
In 2007, Discovery Networks Europe decided to localize its networks across Europe. This resulted in the establishment of Discovery Discovery Networks Deutschland, Discovery Networks Benelux, Discovery Networks Nordic, Discovery Networks UK and Discovery Networks Italia and Discovery Networks EMEA (which served all other territories). As of 2011, operations in the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, France and Flanders are operated by Discovery Networks Western Europe. All other operations in Europe are operated by Discovery Networks CEEMEA in Warsaw.
- Animal Planet
- Animal Planet +1
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Channel +1
- Discovery HD
- Discovery Home & Health
- Discovery Home & Health +1
- Discovery History
- Discovery History +1
- Discovery Real Time
- Discovery Real Time +1
- Discovery Science
- Discovery Science +1
- Discovery Shed
- Discovery Travel & Living
- Discovery Turbo
- DMAX +1
- DMAX +2
- Investigation Discovery
- QUEST +1
- Discovery Channel Europe launches.
- TLC launches.
- Discovery Home & Leisure replaces TLC.
- Animal Planet UK, Discovery Civilisation, Discovery Sci-Trek, Discovery Travel & Adventure and Discovery Channel +1 launches.
- April: Discovery Science replaces Discovery Sci-Trek.
- February: Discovery Travel & Living replaces Discovery Travel & Adventure.
- May: Discovery Home & Health and Discovery Real Time replace Discovery Health and Discovery Home & Leisure respectively. Discovery Home & Health +1 launches.
- August: Discovery Real Time Extra launches.
- May: Discovery HD launches.
- March: Discovery Turbo replaces Discovery Wings and Discovery Kids.
- June: Discovery Channel +1.5 launches.
- November: Discovery Knowledge replaces Discovery Civilisation.
- January: DMAX and DMAX +1 launches.
- April: DMAX +2 launches. Discovery Science +1 replaces Discovery Channel +1.5.
- June: Discovery Knowledge +1 launches.
- August: DMAX +1.5 launches.
- November: Discovery Travel & Living +1 launches.
- January: Investigation Discovery launches, replacing Discovery Travel & Living +1.
- March: Discovery Shed replaces Discovery Real Time Extra.
- September: QUEST launches.
- November: DMAX +1.5 closed; QUEST +1 launched.
- November: Discovery History and Discovery History +1 replace Discovery Knowledge and Discovery Knowledge +1.
- April: TLC, TLC +1 and Investigation Discovery +1 launches, replacing Discovery Real Time, Discovery Real Time +1 and Discovery Travel & Living.
- "Discovery splits UK and EMEA operations". Digital Spy. January 24, 2007.
- "Paxton steps down as Discovery splits". Broadcast. January 23, 2007.
- "Discovery Maps Out Its Digital Bskyb Services". The Hollywood Reporter. August 19, 1998.
- "Discovery Health". The Airwaves. July 30, 2001. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- "More + from Discovery". The Airwaves. May 22, 2001. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- "Three new channels for Sky viewers". The Airwaves. August 22, 2005. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- "Discovery launches second timeshirt service". The Airwaves. June 25, 2007. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- "Implementation - Quest +1". AGB Nielsen Media Research. 2009-10-02.
- "Discovery to launch dedicated history channel". Media Week. 7 October 2010.