Discovery Science (Canada)
Discovery Science logo
|Launched||August 15, 2001|
|Owned by||CTV Speciality Television
(80% and managing partner)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Slogan||Where Cool and Curiosity Collide|
|Formerly called||Discovery Civilization Channel (2001-2010)|
|Sister channel(s)||Animal Planet
|Bell TV||Channel 523 (SD)
Channel 1606 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 554 (SD)|
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|FibreOP||Channel 302 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 523 (SD)
Channel 1523 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 273 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 203 (SD)
Channel 709 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 60 (SD)|
Discovery Science is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel owned by CTV Speciality Television Inc. (Bell Media 80%/ESPN 20%) in partnership with Discovery Communications airing science-related programming.
Discovery Science was licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) on December 14, 2000 as Discovery Civilization Channel. The application was granted to CTV Inc., and was later transferred to its subsidiary, CTV Specialty Television Inc., in which ESPN owns a 20% interest. The channel was originally described in regulatory documents as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty television service dedicated to bringing the diverse people and cultures of the world to Canadian viewers. The service will be dedicated to exploring and understanding the roots of human development and learning from other cultures and traditions."
The channel was launched on August 15, 2001 as Discovery Civilization Channel, with programming devoted to human civilization and history. The channel was intended to be a Canadian version of an American channel of the same name, which was later reformatted and renamed Discovery Times, and later became Investigation Discovery.
On June 4, 2010 CTVglobemedia announced that Discovery Civilization Channel would be rebranded as Discovery Science on September 27, 2010, focusing on science-related programming.
Discovery Science HD
On June 17, 2011 Bell Media announced that it would launch Discovery Science HD, a high definition (HD) simulcast of the standard definition feed, by the end of 2011. The channel was launched on December 15, 2011 on Bell Fibe TV and on September 11, 2012 on Telus Optik TV.
- Jamaica - distributed on Flow Cable systems.
- Bahamas - distributed on Cable Bahamas systems.
- Trinidad & Tobago - distributed on Flow Cable systems.
- Brazil - distributed on NET Serviços de Comunicação systems.
- Chile - distributed on VTR Digital Cable systems.
- Mexico - distributed on Cablevision
- Decision CRTC 2000-553; CRTC; 2000-12-14
- Discovery to Launch Three New Channel Brands In Canada, CTV press release, June 4, 2010
- Discovery Channel and Bell Media Factual Networks Announce Fall 2011 "Must See" Highlights CNW 2011-06-17
- Animal Planet HD, Investigation Discovery HD and Discovery Science HD Launch Today Bell Media press release 2011-12-15
- Flow Cable channel lineup
- Cable Bahamas channel lineup
- Flow Cable channel lineup
- VTR Digital Cable channel lineup