Disney's Dinosaur (video game)
North American Game Boy Color cover art
|Developer(s)||Digital Eclipse (GBC)
Disney Interactive Studios (PS, DC, PC)
|Publisher(s)||Ubisoft (GBC, PS, DC, PS2)
Disney Interactive Studios (PC)
|Release date(s)||Game Boy Color
Disney's Dinosaur is a 2000 video game based released as a tie-in to the Disney film of the same name.
The game loosely follows the story of the movie, starting with Aladar, Zini, Suri, and Plio on the Lemur Island. The island is destroyed in a meteor shower, forcing Aladar and his friends to flee to the mainland, where they encounter a herd of dinosaurs led by the ruthless Kron. Most of the game consists of puzzles and fighting off predators.
The player navigates the main characters with the arrow keys, a player may move a character diagonally by pressing two keys simultaneously, the players attacks are activated by pressing the spacebar or V key, a player may use the special attack when there is a power stone in their inventory by pressing the two attack keys simultaneously.
- Aladar, an Iguanodon. The strongest of the three playable characters, Aladar can destroy blockades and fight off predators of all sizes. His main attacks include head-butting, and tail swings, his special attack is a massive stomp, he is the only player that can swim.
- Zini, a lemur. The smallest member of the group, Zini can reach small spaces that Aladar and Flia don't fit into, making him useful for solving puzzles and accessing hidden areas. Zini can throw rocks at predators and headbutt them if he is very close (both attacks use the spacebar). He can also distract certain enemies, causing them to follow him and lose interest in his comrades (by pressing the V key). Zini is very fast and agile, and is capable of jumping over ledges too wide for Aladar. He can also climb up vine-covered walls, but has no special attack.
- Flia, a Pteranodon sternbergi. Flia is the flyer of the group, and can therefore avoid most predators (except flying ones, and defence-based Albertosaurs, which can jump and bite at her). She is useful for scouting as well as reaching places that Aladar and Zini can't get to. Various missions in the game feature Flia carrying burning sticks to light fires to guide the other characters. Flia can dive-bomb at enemies, doing a barrel roll of sorts to hit them with her wings, her special attack is a sonic blast. Flia only appears in the film as the Pteranodon that drops Aladar's egg at Lemur Island.
The player can control Aladar, Flia and Zini separately. It is also possible to control both Aladar and Flia simultaneously (the player controls Aladar and Flia follows him), or Aladar and Zini (the player controls Aladar and Zini jumps on his back). It is also possible to control all three characters - the player controls Aladar, with Zini riding on his back and Flia following.
- Kron, a ruthless Iguanodon who leads the herd that Aladar, Zini and Flia encounter.
- Neera, Kron's more caring sister.
- Baylene, an old Brachiosaurus.
- Eema, an old Styracosaurus.
- Url, a dog-like Ankylosaurus.
Plio, Yar, Suri, and Bruton don't appear in the game itself, but are featured in cut-scenes throughout the game, which are actually scenes taken directly from the movie.
Creatures and objects featured
- Sailed lizards, the first enemy encountered by the player. They are slow and not very strong.
- Champsosaurus, essentially a faster version of the lizard. In reality it was an aquatic creature more closely resembling a crocodile.
- Dryptosaurus, a big carnivore, depicted with spines on its back.
- Icaronycteris, a predatory bat. It is always encountered in swarms, although these are represented as a single entity with one HP bar which scatters when defeated. The real creature did not live at the same time as dinosaurs and probably fed on insects.
- Velociraptor, a small predatory dinosaur. It is fast and often attacks in groups.
- Oviraptor, another small dinosaur. It poses a threat similar to Velociraptor, but it can steal items from you.
- Quetzalcoatlus, a large, aggressive pterosaur, incorrectly depicted in this game as resembling a Pteranodon. Because it flies, the only team member who cannot fight the pterosaur is Aladar.
- Carnotaurus, a large and powerful predatory dinosaur. It cannot be killed directly, it must led into a trap.
- Albertosaurus, a vicious dinosaur that comes in two kinds: a powerful offensive one and a leaping defensive one.
- Spinosaurus, the largest carnivorous dinosaur, depicted in this game as the size of an Iguanodon. Only Carnotaurus is bigger than the creature.
- Lemur (seen in the opening level as non-moving characters)
- Styracosaurus (Eema & one other)
- Ankylosaurus (Url and one other)
- Iguanodon (Neera & others)
The game was met with very mixed to negative reviews upon release. GameRankings and Metacritic gave it a score of 51.62% for the Game Boy Color version; 51.89% and 44 out of 100 for the PlayStation version; 49.20% and 53 out of 100 for the Dreamcast version; and 45.75% for the PlayStation 2 version.
- "Disney's Dinosaur for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Walt Disney Pictures Presents: Dinosaur for Game Boy Color". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Disney's Dinosaur for Dreamcast". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Disney's Dinosaur for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Disney's Dinosaur for Dreamcast Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Disney's Dinosaur for PlayStation Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Woods, Nick. "Disney's Dinosaur (GBC) - Review". Allgame. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Thompson, Jon. "Disney's Dinosaur (DC) - Review". Allgame. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Norman, Philippa (2000). "Dreamcast Review: Disney's Dinosaur". Official Dreamcast Magazine UK. Archived from the original on 2007-06-24. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Dinosaur (DC)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. February 2001. Archived from the original on 2001-02-11. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Shoemaker, Brad (2001-02-06). "Dinosaur Review (DC)". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Shoemaker, Brad (2000-09-15). "Disney's Dinosaur Review (PS)". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Chau, Anthony (2000-12-07). "Dinosaur (DC)". IGN. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Nix, Marc (2000-05-25). "Disney's Dinosaur (GBC)". IGN. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Cleveland, Adam (2000-08-31). "Disney's Dinosaur (PS)". IGN. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- "Disney's Dinosaur". Nintendo Power 133. June 2000.
- "Disney's Dinosaur". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. 2000.