Disney's MyMagic+ consists of the following features:
- My Disney Experience mobile application and website
- Disney's MagicBand is a new waterproof RFID ticketing system
- Disney FastPass+ service which allows guests to reserve access to experiences
- PhotoPass Memory Maker allows guests to take unlimited photos while in the park, then download them within 45 days of picture taking.
My Disney Experience
After creating an online account with Disney, guests can use the My Disney Experience website or Mobile Application to view park operating hours, park maps, nearby attractions and entertainment, current wait times, menus, make dining reservations, and manage itineraries. Guests are required to link their MagicBand(s) and to room key(s), and they are able to also link it to their park ticket(s) and PhotoPass ID as applicable, to their My Disney Experience account.
Any and all above mentioned purchased and complementary features must be registered to the guests' account or all features of the MagicBand may not work as intended, such as not being able to unlock the ability to manage, make or change FastPass+ and dining reservations from the website or mobile application.
Disney's MagicBand is a new ticketing system for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. These waterproof plastic wristbands contain a short range RFID chip, which allows visitors to use them for the following functions:
- Hotel Room key, for guests staying at on-site Disney resorts
- Theme and water park ticket (with valid park admission and biometric validation)
- Food, Beverage, and Merchandise Payment (using linked credit card, and PIN) - currently only available to guests staying at on-site Disney resorts
- FastPass+ distribution, redemption, and exchanges
- Connect Disney Memory Maker or PhotoPass images to your account
In addition the magic bands contain a 2.4GHz transmitter for longer range wireless communication which will be used to track the band's location within Walt Disney World, as well as link on-ride photos and videos to guests Disney's PhotoPass account.
MagicBands have become a highly sought after collectable for fans, as Disney has released MagicBands for sale with graphics on them, and in limited releases and editions. Some have come in special boxes and make themed lights and sounds when used at FastPass+ and entry touch points within Walt Disney World. There are also many new accessories sold by Disney for MagicBand, include MagicBandits, CoverBands, and MagicSliders. Many people now also customize their MagicBands with their own custom designs. Some materials for customizing include nail polish, temporary tattoos, and fake jewels, and some companies now specialize in creating and selling MagicBand "skins".
FastPass+ allows guests to reserve and plan a visit to a Disney Park in advance for select FastPass+ attractions, Character Greetings, entertainment, and viewing areas for parades and fireworks. The new system allows guests to make reservations up to 60 days in advance, and change at any time. FastPass+ is a reservation and scheduling system, unlike the old paper FASTPASS system, which was virtual queuing concept. Additionally, guests are encouraged to reserve FastPass+ sections with their group and are allowed to change the groups FastPass+ reservation as an individual guest would. Currently guests staying at an onsite Disney resort can make reservations up to 60 days in advance while all other guests can schedule reservations up to 30 days in advance, assuming tickets are linked to their account. Annual Passholders can hold FastPass+ reservations for up to 7 different days in the 30 day window. If a Passholder is staying at a Disney resort onsite, they can make reservations up to 60 days in advance, for the entire length of the stay. Guests can make three reservations in advance for each day, and all three must be at the same theme park. Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios separate the attractions available for reservation into two tiers. Guests are restricted in the combination of attractions they are able to reserve in these parks to ensure better reservation availability for others at the parks most popular attractions. Guests may make a further reservation via an in park kiosk after they have used their initial three selections subject to further reservation slots being available. They may continue to do so after each reservation has been used until all reservation slots have been allocated for the day.
Memory Maker allows guests to associate the pictures taken on attractions, dining, character meets, and entertainment locations with their MagicBand, Memory Maker card, or Disney PhotoPass card for 30 days. If the advanced purchase option was chosen, the guest must wait three days before associating photos with their account. Guests have a digital-only entitlement to the photos which enables them to download as many photos or all of the photos that were taken during their visit to the parks. Additionally, guests can print the pictures at their residence, at a retailer, or they can have the pictures printed and mailed to them for an additional charge. The guests have up to 45 days from the date the individual photo was taken to download the photo, after which the photo will expire.
- "Introducing a New Dimension of Disney Magic". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "MagicBand Coming Soon". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Memory Maker". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Let My Disney Experience Be Your Guide". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "MagicBand Coming Soon". Walt Disney World. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "My Disney Experience Frequently Asked Questions". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Wallace, Sandi. "Disney PhotoPass Service Simplifies Access to Walt Disney World Photos, Videos". disneyparks.com. Disney Parks. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "MagicBand Collectors".
- "MagicBand Collectors - MagicBand FP+ Videos".
- "Disney Store".
- "Magic YOUR Band".
- "MagicBand Collectors - Disney Cruise Line".
- "MagicBand Collectors - Aulani".
- "Making FastPass+ Selections". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Annual Passes – Frequently Asked Questions". disneyworld.com. Walt Disney World-Disney Parks. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Get Everyone in the Picture with Memory Maker". Walt Disney World. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Walt Disney World MagicBand FAQ
- About the MagicBand
- About FastPass+
- FCC Info about RFID technology
- MagicBand Collectors