Distance Education Council
|Leader||Chairman: Dr. M. Aslam,. Director: Dr. Nalini A. Lele|
|Affiliations||Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development|
Distance Education Council (DEC) was an organisation based in New Delhi, India responsible for the promotion and coordination of the open university and distance education system and for determination of its standards in India. The Council was constituted under the Indira Gandhi National Open University Act (1985). Its consistent with the duty of the University that takes all such steps as it may deem fit for the promotion of the Open University and distance education systems in the educational pattern of the country and for the coordination and determination of standards of teaching, evaluation & research in such systems; and in pursuance of the objects of the University to encourage greater flexibility, diversity, accessibility, mobility and innovation in education at the University level by making full use of the latest scientific knowledge and new educational technology, and to further cooperation between the existing Universities. It is considered necessary and expedient to establish a Distance Education Council as an authority of the University under Section 16 of the Act.  The Distance Education Council (DEC) is an apex body for the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) system in the country. It is empowered, under Statute 28 of the IGNOU Act, to act as an apex body for the ODL system. It is responsible for promotion, coordination and maintenance of standards of the ODL system. The Vice Chancellor of IGNOU is the ex officio Chairperson of DEC.  In June 2013, University Grants Commission has taken over DEC, by establishing Distance Education Bureau which will govern the distance education programs in India. The UGC has constituted a Committee to examine the pending proposals of programme-wise recognition to the institutions.
- "official website -DISTANCE EDUCATION COUNCIL". DISTANCE EDUCATION COUNCIL. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "THE INDIRA GANDHI NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY ACT, 1985" (PDF). mhrd. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Terry Denis Evans; Margaret Haughey; David Murphy (2008). International Handbook of Distance Education. Emerald Group Publishing. pp. 727–. ISBN 978-0-85724-515-1. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Amrik Singh (2004). Fifty Years of Higher Education in India: The Role of the University Grants Commission. SAGE Publications. pp. 16–. ISBN 978-0-7619-3216-1. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "University Grant Commission". UGC. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "MHRD". MHRD. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Aruna Goel; S. L. Goel (1 January 2010). Encyclopaedia of higher education in the 21st century. Deep & Deep Publications. pp. 161–. ISBN 978-81-7629-584-0. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "ignou". ignou. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Now, UGC takes over Distance Education Council". The Times of India. 5 Jun 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Distance Education Council, Govt. of India
- DEC Notice Board
- List of Members
- OF SECONDARY DISTANCE EDUCATION
- DEC Staff List