|Release date(s)||March 25, 2010|
Gameplay features up to 1,400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids in a single game session.
Key differences from other games of the genre are the vast scale, along with task automation systems that help the player manage their empire.
Distant Worlds received generally positive reviews upon its release. RTSguru gave it 8 out of 10, praising the replayability and large galaxies, while diverting some criticism towards the user interface and graphics. Gamesquad awarded it an 8.0 out of 10, praising the automation options and the economical system of the game. However, they expressed some concern towards the game's tutorial, stating that "while the game does help the new player with its efficient UI and two tutorials, the player still feels like the game stuffs him in a spacesuit, gives him a pat on the back and kicks him out the airlock to fend for himself."
Space Sector initially had mixed feelings towards the game, giving it 5.0 out of 10. While praising the vastness of the game, they ultimately felt that the interface, steep learning curve, lackluster graphics and some bad design implementations had made Distant Worlds "a dry, sterile, overwhelming, boring and ultimately not fun game to play." The reviewer, Adam Solo, later modified his article, stating the game had vastly improved after several patches and its first expansion were released.
- "Distant Worlds". Matrix Games. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds System Requirements". Game-Debate. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Matrix Games To Publish Distant Worlds - IGN". Pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- [dead link]
- "Distant Worlds Now Available for Purchase - IGN". Pc.ign.com. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Matrix Games - Press Release: Distant Worlds Now Available for Purchase!(707202)". Gamershell.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi". Matrix Games. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds - Legends". Matrix Games. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds- Shadows". Matrix Games. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds - Reviews". Matrix Games. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds Review". Rtsguru.com. 2011-06-30. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds". www.gamesquad.com. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds Review". SpaceSector.com. 2011-02-13. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Official site at Code Force
- Distant Worlds at Matrix Games
- Distant Worlds Wiki Official wiki endorsed by Matrix Games
|This strategy video game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|