District Council of Robe
|District Council of Robe
Location of the District Council of Robe in blue
|• Density||1.356/km2 (3.513/sq mi)|
|Area||1,091.1 km2 (421.3 sq mi)|
|Website||District Council of Robe|
The District Council of Robe is a local government area located in the Limestone Coast area of South Australia. The main offices are in Robe, the town after which the council is named. The district relies on a mix of agriculture, fisheries and tourism as major components of its economy.
The district's coastline, like much of South Australia, was explored by Captains Matthew Flinders and Nicolas Baudin in 1802, with Baudin initially naming it after Admiral de Guichen. The first major town was officially founded and named 'Robe' by the South Australian Government in 1846 after Major Frederick Holt Robe, Governor of South Australia who had selected the site in 1846.
It was the first major town to be established in the south east of the colony. Greytown on Rivoli Bay had been surveyed a few months earlier and was the site of a small settlement but Robe was the first administrative center and was the focus of public and commercial life in the area.
The 'District Council of Robe' was proclaimed on 28 October 1869 to service the growing community at that time.
Tourism has been an increasingly important part of the economy, with up to 15000 tourists every year. The town has a large number of historic buildings, as well as natural attractions. The town is listed as one of the State's historical towns in the Heritage Conservation Branch's Master Interpretation Plan.
Robe is the only major town of the district, with a number of smaller towns also encompassed in the district. The full list is:
Mayor: William Peden
CEO: Rob Kay
- Rino Dell'Antonio
- David Loxton
- Jenny Mathews
- Rolf Petrovic
- Peter Riseley
- Ned Wright
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Limestone Coast SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Flinders Ranges Research, Robe, retrieved 2007-06-10
- District Council of Robe, History, archived from the original on 2007-08-30, retrieved 2007-06-10
- SA Planning, Robe DC Development Plan, retrieved 2007-06-10
- District Council of Robe, Statistics, archived from the original on 2007-08-30, retrieved 2007-06-10
- LGA of SA, District Council of Robe, retrieved 2007-06-10