District Court of Queensland
Federal Law Courts
Queensland Law Courts
The original court was established in 1866 to ease the Supreme Court workload. However, in 1921 the Queensland Parliament decided District Courts were no longer necessary and the courts were abolished. They were re-established in 1958 to relieve the workload in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
The present court is constituted under the District Court of Queensland Act 1967 (Qld). That act amalgamated the previous District Court in existence prior to 1967 into the new District Court.
The court has jurisdiction to hear all appeals from decisions made in the Magistrates Court.
The District Court has jurisdiction to hear civil matters for which the amount in dispute is less than or equal to $750,000, and more than $150,000. Civil disputes in which the amount in dispute is more than $750,000 are heard by the Supreme Court, while those in which the amount is $150,000 or less are heard by either the Magistrates Court or the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
The District Court has the jurisdiction to hear criminal matters in which the defendant has been charged with a serious indictable offence (such as armed robbery, rape, and dangerous driving).
The current Chief Judge of the District Court is Kerry J O'Brien.
The judges who currently sit at the Brisbane District Court are:
- Judge David C Andrews SC
- Judge Hugh Botting
- Judge Helen P Bowskill QC
- Judge Brendan Butler SC
- Judge Leanne Clare SC
- Judge Brian G Devereaux SC
- Justice Julie M Dick
- Judge Kiernan Dorney QC
- Judge Brad Farr SC
- Judge Alexander Horneman-Wren SC (Also Deputy President of QCAT)
- Judge Richard Jones
- Judge Fleur Y Kingham
- Judge Terence D Martin SC
- Judge Douglas J McGill SC
- Judge Michael J Noud
- Judge Kerry J O'Brien
- Judge Michael E Rackemann
- Judge Anthony Rafter SC
- Judge David Reid
- Judge Orazio Rinaudo (Also Chief Magistrate)
- Judge Julie Ryrie
- Judge Nicholas Samios
- Judge David G Searles
- Judge Michael Shanahan (Also President of Children's Court)
- Judge Suzanne C Sheridan
- Judge Paul Smith (Also Judge Administrator)
- Judge Ian Dearden
- Judge Sarah Bradley
- Judge Gregory J Koppenol
- Judge Deborah Richards
- Judge Paul E Smith (Also Judge Administrator)
- Judge Michael J F Burnett
- Judge Clive F Wall RFD QC
- Judge Katherine M McGinness
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General (Queensland) (2010). "The District Court of Queensland" (PDF). Government of Queensland. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General (Queensland) (2012). "Judges of the District Court contacts". Government of Queensland. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Department of Justice ad Attorney-General (Queensland) (2012). "Courthouses contacts". Government of Queensland. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General (Queensland) (2015). "Judges of the District Court contacts". Government of Queensland. Retrieved 15 January 2015.