DivX Plus HD
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2009)|
|Part of a series on|
DivX Plus HD was launched in 2009 and is the brand name for the file type that DivX, Inc. has chosen for their high definition video format. DivX Plus HD files consist of high definition H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video with surround sound Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) audio, wrapped up in the open-standard Matroska container, identified by the .mkv file extension. DivX Plus HD files leverage and extend on Matroska's ability to support multiple language tracks, subtitles, chapters, and additional bonus content.
DivX Plus HD products
As of the release of DivX 7, DivX Plus HD support has been included in the main software bundle.
- DivX Plus Player - Play DivX 6 files (.avi and .divx with MP3 audio) and DivX Plus HD (.mkv with AAC audio)
- DivX to Go - A device transfer wizard for moving videos to DivX devices via USB or optical disc
- DivX Plus Converter - Creates .mkv files via the "DivX Plus HD" menu or converts .mkv to .divx
- DivX Plus Web Player - Plays .mkv files with H.264 video and AAC audio on web pages inside a web browser.
- DivX Plus Codec Pack - DirectShow components for decoding and creating DivX and DivX Plus video files
DivX Plus HD Profile
|This article is outdated. (November 2010)|
DivX has defined profiles which are subsets of MPEG-4/AVI and H264/MKV standards. Because the grouping is a specific subset of what is in the standards, there are certification processes for each of the profiles that device manufacturers must follow. Below is the DivX Plus HD profile.
All DivX Plus HD certified devices bearing a DivX Plus logo will adhere to the profile outlined in the table below, as would any tools that support the DivX profiles. DivX Plus HD devices are also tested for compliance against the DivX HD 1080p profile for MPEG4/AVI certification in order to maintain backwards compatibility 
|Codec||MPEG4 part 10 (H.264)|
|Max. resolution (px×px×Hz)||1920×1080×30,
|Max VBV bitrate (bit/s)||VCL: 20000000,
|Min. VBV buffer size (KiB)||VCL: 3200, NAL: 3840|
|Macroblocks (per second)||244800|
DivX has introduced additional features beyond the Matroska specification that are implemented during the video file creation process and exposed during playback in DivX Plus software and on consumer electronics devices certified for DivX Plus HD. Below are the standard and extended MKV features that are specific to the DivX Plus HD profile.
Currently, font files can be easily attached to .mkv files using a Matroska mux, but certain problems may arise when attempting to utilize a font during playback. Usually, performance is affected because the font file can be large and take time to load for the subtitles. The DivX Plus Word Fonts extension attempts to solve this problem by optimizing the font file during the file creation stage. A DivX Plus mux, like the DivXMKVMux, can examine the subtitle file, determine which characters are required from a font file, and repack the font file for attachment with only the necessary symbols, thereby reducing the font attachment size and decreasing the time it needs to load.
DivX has released a specification for a DivX Plus extension that aims to improve seeking quickly through a video file, either forward or backward. Called Smooth FF/RW, the creator of the video creates a lower resolution version of the video that is attached to the .mkv file and leveraged whenever a user instructs their player to seek fast forward or rewind. When the user presses fast forward or rewind, the full resolution track is swapped out with the lower resolution version, requiring less resources; when the user presses play, the lower resolution track is instantly swapped out to the full resolution version, which is intended to solve inaccurate seeking issues or a stuttering effect during fast forward and rewind.
View and play episodic content packaged into a single file.
Authored and Auto-generated Chapters
Access chapter points in a video when no chapter information exists.
No more delays to start a movie. Begin watching right away even with large HD files.
The following chips have been certified or have licensing agreements for DivX Plus HD:
|IC Provider||Model Number||Date Certified||Type||Notes|
|Broadcom||BCM3556||2010-09-07 !7 September 2010||DTV|
|BCM3549||2010-08-27 !27 August 2010|
|Mediatek||MT8550TBAG||2010-08-23 !23 August 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|MT8550UBAG||2010-08-23 !23 August 2010|
|MT8555DGBG||2010-07-08 !8 July 2010|
|MT8555DIBG||2010-07-08 !8 July 2010|
|MT8555DJBG||2010-07-08 !8 July 2010|
|MT8555DHBG||2010-07-08 !8 July 2010|
|OP8531||2010-07-06 !6 July 2010|
|MT8653ACEG||2010-06-17 !17 June 2010|
|MT8652ACEG||2010-06-08 !8 June 2010|
|MT8555DDBG||2010-06-03 !3 June 2010|
|MT8555DCBG||2010-06-03 !3 June 2010|
|MT8555DEBG||2010-06-03 !3 June 2010|
|MT8555DFBG||2010-05-27 !27 May 2010|
|MT8550JBAG||2010-05-17 !17 May 2010|
|MT8530PEFG||2010-03-24 !24 March 2010||MT8530 announced as first DivX Plus HD certified chip.|
|MT8530MEFG||2010-03-24 !24 March 2010|
|MT8530KEFG||2009-11-05 !5 November 2009|
|MT8530JEFG||2009-11-05 !5 November 2009|
|MT8530AEFG||2009-09-30 !30 September 2009|
|Panasonic||MN2WS0150D3||2010-08-16 !16 August 2010||Blu-ray Disc player||UniPhier chips named in licensing agreement.|
|MN2WS0150D2||2010-08-16 !16 August 2010|
|MN2WS0140DFF1||2010-06-10 !10 June 2010|
|MN2WS0141DFF||2010-05-11 !11 May 2010|
|Realtek||RTD1073||2010-03-24 !24 March 2010||Digital multimedia processor|
|RTD1283||2010-03-03 !3 March 2010|
|OEM / ODM||Model Number||Date Certified||Type||Notes|
|Denon||DBP-1611UD||2010-10-05 !5 October 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|Marantz||UD5005||2010-10-12 !12 October 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|Panasonic||DMP-BDT100EE||2010-08-31 !31 August 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|SC-BTT755EGK||2010-07-27 !27 July 2010|
|SC-BFT800EBK||2010-07-15 !15 July 2010|
|SC-BFT800EGK||2010-07-15 !15 July 2010|
|SC-BFT800GNK||2010-07-15 !15 July 2010|
|SC-BTT350EGK||2010-07-14 !14 July 2010|
|SC-BTT755EBK||2010-07-14 !14 July 2010|
|SC-BTT350EBK||2010-07-14 !14 July 2010|
|SC-BTT350GNK||2010-07-14 !14 July 2010|
|SC-BTT755GNK||2010-07-14 !14 July 2010|
|DMP-BDT100GN||2010-06-22 !22 June 2010|
|DMP-BDT300EG||2010-04-26 !26 April 2010||The DMP-BDT300 has been DivX Plus HD Certified, and is Panasonic's first FullHD 3D Blu-ray Disc player.|
|DMP-BDT300GN||2010-04-26 !26 April 2010|
|DMP-BDT300EE||2010-04-26 !26 April 2010|
|Philips||BDP5180||2010-09-07 !7 September 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|BDP8000||2010-08-31 !31 August 2010|
|BDP7500B2||2010-03-25 !25 March 2010|
|BDP7500S2||2010-03-03 !3 March 2010|
|BDP7500 MK II||2010-02-05 !5 February 2010|
|BDP8000||2010-02-05 !5 February 2010|
|BDP5100||2010-02-05 !5 February 2010|
|Soniq||QPB302B||2010-06-02 !2 June 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
|Seagate||FreeAgent GoFlex TV||2010-09-02 !2 September 2010||Digital media receiver|
|Yamaha||BD-S1067||2010-08-31 !31 August 2010||Blu-ray Disc player|
According to documentation provided by DivX on their DivX Developer Portal, it is possible to make DivX Plus HD compatible files via other H.264 encoders, such as the open source x264 encoder. At minimum, the following command line creates an H.264 bitstream within the DivX Plus HD profile:
x264 --vbv-maxrate=20000 --vbv-bufsize=25000 --level 40 --bframes 3 --keyint <4*FPS> -o <output file> <input file>
Following the release of this information, the graphical user interface (GUI) project StaxRip released an update to their presets that incorporates the DivX Plus HD settings as default, which will transcode an array of video inputs to an MKV file with AAC audio and H.264 video within the DivX Plus HD profile. Another GUI project to implement a DivX Plus preset using x264 is RipBot264.
Despite the popular transcoding tool HandBrake dropping .avi container support, it can still be used to create DivX Plus compatible videos if MKV is selected for format, x264 is selected for video codec, AAC is used for audio codec, and the following options are passed into the advanced settings:
- "DivX Plus Software". DivX Labs blog. DivX, Inc. 16 March 2010. Archived from the original on 7 February 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Download DivX Plus Web Player 2.0 Beta to Play DivX Plus Video (MKV/H.264/AAC) in Web Browser". TechHail blog. 11 October 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "DXVA - Free with the new DivX Plus H.264 Decoder". DivX Labs blog. DivX, Inc. 16 March 2010. Archived from the original on 18 November 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Drawbaugh, Ben (1 May 2009). "DivX fills in the gaps and adds MKV support to Windows 7". Engadget HD. AOL Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "DivX profiles".
- "DivX Profiles from divx.com".
- "certified listing from divx.com".
- "+HD Features".
- "DivX Plus MKV Extensions". DivX Labs. DivX, Inc. 13 July 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- How to attach a TrueType font in "MKVMerge documentation". bunkus.org. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "World Fonts". DivX Developer Portal. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "Smooth FF/RW". DivX Developer Portal. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "+HD Features".
- "+HD Features".
- "+HD Features".
- "DivX Certified Hardware". DivX.com. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- McGlaun, Shane (26 October 2009). "MediaTek MT8530 becomes world’s first DivX Plus Blu-ray chip". SlashGear. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Lawler, Richard (11 September 2009). "Panasonic including DivX Plus HD (MKV) support into next gen Blu-ray players, TVs". Engadget HD. AOL Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Lawler, Richard (11 September 2009). "NEC chips to include DivX Plus HD support". Engadget HD. AOL Inc. Retrieved 21 August 2010.
- "Media Streamers". DivX.com. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Blu-ray Players". DivX.com. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Newman, Jared (27 April 2010). "Panasonic embraces DivX Plus HD in 3D Blu-ray players". MyCE – My Consumer Electronics. MyCE. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Encoding with x264". DivX Developer Portal. DivX, Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "StaxRip Support - 22.214.171.124 beta". Doom9.org Forum. Doom9. 14 November 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "RipBot264 v1.16.3 - Simple and easy to use GUI -> IPOD . PSP . CONSOLES . BLURAY". Doom9.org Forum. Doom9. 3 July 2007. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "DivX Plus HD - H.264/MKV/AAC". HandBrake Forums. HandBrake community. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010.