|Studio album by Morcheeba|
|Released||4 February 2008
(see release history)
|Genre||Trip hop, downtempo|
|Singles from Dive Deep|
Dive Deep is the sixth studio album by the British band Morcheeba, released on 4 February 2008 in the United Kingdom. It is also the second studio album recorded without the former lead singer Skye Edwards.It has a number of vocalists, and several songs can be heard on the band's MySpace page. The first single released was "Enjoy the Ride" which features Judie Tzuke. The second single, "Gained the World", featuring Manda Zamolo, was released on 28 April 2008.
The group embarked on a North American tour to promote the album on 24 March that started in Washington DC and ended on 13 April 2008 in Los Angeles.
Ross Godfrey discussed the making of album in an interview:
|“||We used an incredible amount of new technology for this album, but it's all new-old stuff – ancient keyboards, like claviolines. It's all very organic. The technology came into play in the way that we edited it and put it together.||”|
Morcheeba is dedicated to the preservation of the marine environment and is using the release of Dive Deep as an opportunity to raise awareness.
Professional reviews were mainly favourable and positive. Billboard described the album as a "gorgeous collection of folk- and blues-inflected electro-pop ballads". The Independent gave the album five stars, describing it as "A stirring return to form."
Dive Deep includes many guest vocalists, such as the acclaimed singer-songwriter Judie Tzuke and relative newcomers Thomas Dybdahl from Norway, the rapper Cool Calm Pete and Manda Zamolo, a French singer. Reviewing the album, BBC Music noted that guests "appear chosen less for who they are than what they can bring, sweet and soulful voices that supply an emotional backbone to the Godfreys' languid, slo-mo funk grooves."
A downbeat country influenced song based around a distinctive guitar melody, featuring unique and soulful voice of Judie Tzuke
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- "Enjoy the Ride" (feat. Judie Tzuke) – 4:04
- "Riverbed" (feat. Thomas Dybdahl) – 5:24
- "Thumbnails" – 2:35
- "Run Honey Run" (feat. Bradley Burgess) – 3:44
- "Gained the World" (feat. Manda Zamolo) – 2:56
- "One Love Karma" (feat. Cool Calm Pete) – 3:32
- "Au-delà" (feat. Manda Zamolo) – 2:15
- "Blue Chair" (feat. Judie Tzuke) – 4:07
- "Sleep on It Tonight" (feat. Thomas Dybdahl) – 5:34
- "The Ledge Beyond the Edge" – 2:03
- "Washed Away" (feat. Thomas Dybdahl) – 4:23
- "Flowers" (feat. Manda Zamolo) – 4:06
Dive Deep entered the UK Albums Chart in the second week of February at position 59, the band's lowest charting album in the United Kingdom. It was more successful on the Swiss Album Charts which it entered at number 8 a week later. On 9 February, Dive Deep entered the French Albums Chart at number 15. Since its release on iTunes, the album has had a big success throughout Europe, with many entries under Top 10.
|Austrian Album Chart||42|
|Dutch Album Chart||82|
|French Album Chart||15|
|German Album Chart||39|
|Italian Album Chart||50|
|Swiss Album Chart||8|
|UK Albums Chart||59|
- Ross Godfrey (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, lap steel guitar, banjo, piano, Fender Rhodes, clavinet, Hammond B-3 organ, Wurlitzer organ, synthesizer, bass guitar)
- Paul Godfrey (drums, drum machine, sound effects, scratches)
- Thomas Dybdahl (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, bass guitar)
- Bradley Burgess (vocals, guitars, bass guitar)
- Judie Tzuke, Cool Calm Pete (vocals)
- The Mak of All Trades (flute)
- Dan Goldman (Fender Rhodes piano, synthesizer, bass guitar)
- Martin Carling (drums)
- Manda Zamolo (vocals, background vocals)
|France||3 February 2008||PIAS France|
|United Kingdom||4 February 2008||Echo||ECHCD77|
|United States||19 February 2008||Ultra|
|Canada||4 March 2008||Ultra|
|"Enjoy the Ride"|
|Single by Morcheeba|
|from the album Dive Deep|
|Released|| 28 January 2008 (digital)
24 March 2008 (EP)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Dance, soul, pop , Trip hop|
|Writer(s)||Judie Tzuke, Ross Godfrey|
|Morcheeba singles chronology|
"Enjoy the Ride" is a downbeat soul and country-influenced song, and the first single from the album. It was produced by Paul Godfrey and features vocals from Judie Tzuke who also co-wrote the song. Godfrey said, "It's a beautiful song, one of our very best, and it's about accepting who you are in the moment and not trying to distract yourself with everything else – gaining a new understanding of yourself and life."
Professional reviews were mainly positive. The BBC website gave a positive review for the song, saying it is "...a melancholy, slightly bluesy Tzuke-sung number accompanied by weaving guitar and haunting strings". The Daily Mirror rated the song four stars out of five. "It's a brooding brew that captures the mood of dark LA paranoia conjured up by The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, putting it in a 21st century context". Allmusic described "Enjoy the Ride", along with the "Blue Chair" as "the mellow highlight to curl up with."
ZME Music claimed the song as "...a beautiful, soothing synth pop ballad, in which Judie Tzuke's R&B vocals resemble those of Beth Ross, to a extended; it feels however as the track is over-produced and over-polished." However, Orange UK gave a negative review and rated "Enjoy the Ride" only one star out of five saying "It is no sort of ride at all, all tasteful styling and a rhythm so mid-paced you barely notice it's moving."
The music video for "Enjoy the Ride" was produced by the cartoon animator Joel Trussell and is an animated tale of bringing the dead back to life.
- Allmusic review
- Morcheeba myspace
- PIAS B2B
- Morcheeba announce North American dates | News | NME.COM
- "Morcheeba discuss the journey to Dive Deep", IndieLondon
- BBC Music review
- Billboard review
- Daily Express review
- The Independent review[dead link]
- Okayplayer review
- PopMatters review
- The Times review
- Virgin Media review
- Classement officiel des meilleures ventes de disques Albums en France
- "Morcheeba – Dive Deep worldwide chart positions and trajectories". aCharts.us. Retrieved 11 February 2008.
- laut.de | WOM Album Top 50 (KW 8/2008)
- Morcheeba – Dive Deep – swisscharts.com
- "Morcheeba – Enjoy The Ride – 7digital". Retrieved 2 April 2008.
- "Morcheeba on Ultra Records". Retrieved 14 May 2008.
- "BBC – Dance Review – Morcheeba, Dive Deep". Retrieved 4 February 2008.
- "Review: Morcheeba – Enjoy The Ride – Mirror.co.uk". Retrieved 4 February 2008.
- "Allmusic – Dive Deep Overview". Retrieved 4 September 2008.
- "ZME Music Dive Deep Review". Retrieved 13 May 2008.
- "Orange UK Singles Review". Retrieved 5 February 2008.