Division Street (Manhattan)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
Division Street is a one way street in the Lower East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It runs in a northeasterly direction with westbound traffic and passes beneath the Manhattan Bridge. It begins at Bowery and runs eastward to the intersection of Canal Street and Ludlow Street.
It is mostly residential, and largely runs within the Chinatown neighborhood.
The portion of Division Street under the Manhattan Bridge is used for a mall called the East Broadway Mall. There is a car park at Market Street (formerly Florence Place) and next to it is the PS 124 Yung Wing Elementary School. The school is part of a residential complex called Confucius Plaza. At this point, the street widens. Buses to Flushing and casinos park on the right side. There used to be a greenmarket until it moved to the space under the Manhattan Bridge on Forsyth Street between Canal Street and Division Street. East of Bowery, there is a statue of Confucius. At Bowery, most of the traffic gets diverted to Bowery and the Manhattan Bridge.
Points of interest
- Seward Park (on Canal and Essex Street)
- Confucius Plaza
- Agia Barbara (on Forsyth Street)
- Eldridge Street Synagogue (on Eldridge Street)
- East Broadway Mall
- Florence Place, Chinatown Forgotten NY
- The RBA Group/Urbitran Associates (2006-09-29). "School Safety Engineering Project: FINAL REPORT: P.S. 124, Yung Wing School, Manhattan". New York City Department of Transportation - Office of School Safety Engineering. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|